Become a Police Officer
Salary Range: $16.93 - $28.96 per hour
Regular Academy Pay: Starting salary is $16.93 per hour
Lateral Hire Academy Pay: Starting pay for lateral hires is discretionary and based on numerous factors including, but not limited to, years of law enforcement service, law enforcement assignments, special training and agency size. The starting pay range for Lateral Hires is $17.80 -$23.13 per hour.
The Springfield Police Departmentis seeking to hire the most qualified men and women, including those with current police officer experience. If you would like to work for a professional organization that values your dedication and invests in your development, we encourage you to join our team. Our training programs are known across the region for their excellence and our officers have career opportunities to be in a variety of special assignments. Additionally, the City provides an excellent benefit package.
We are looking for police officer candidates who are ready to take the challenge and join one of Missouri's premiere law enforcement agencies.
- Performs general police duties, processes and operations for the protection of life and property through the enforcement of federal and state laws as well as municipal ordinances.
- Works special police assignments as required.
- Must be a high school graduate or have a G.E.D. In addition, must possess 60 semester credit hours from an accredited college or university; or Class A POST certified peace officer; or two years of active duty military service with honorable discharge; or possess a Missouri Class B certification as a peace officer plus at least two years of full time law enforcement experience within the last 5 years; or possess 30 semester hours from an accredited college or university plus three years of experience as a Springfield Police Cadet to enter the Academy. For complete listing of job requirements, see the section below. There are additional requirements for the Lateral Hire Program.
The position of Police Officer has been declared a continuous recruitment posting. Separate testing cycles have been determined with application deadlines associated with each cycle as identified:
Additional testing cycles can also be found at the link above.
REGULAR ACADEMY REQUIREMENTS:
- Must possess high school diploma or GED;
- Possess 60 semester hours from accredited college of university; OR
- Class A MO POST certifications; OR
- Class B MO POST certification plus at least 2 years of full time law enforcement experience within the last 5 years; OR
- Two years of active duty military service with an honorable discharge; OR
- Possess 30 semester hours from an accredited college or university plus 3 years of experience as a Springfield Police Cadet to enter the Academy.
*Law enforcement experience and/or education preferred, but not required*
Additional requirements include the following:
- U.S. Citizen
- 21 years of age at commission
- Excellent physical condition
- No felony convictions
- No more than one DWI conviction; and no DWI conviction in the past three years
- May not have in excess of two moving violations from separate incidents within the past twelve months, or have been at fault in two traffic crashes/accidents during the past three years,
- Meet vision and hearing standards,
- No objectionable tattoos and no tattoos visible while on duty (i.e. can be covered with a long sleeve shirt), or when representing SPD in an official capacity, unless approved by the Chief of Police,
- May not have used an illegal controlled substance within the last three years
LATERAL ACADEMY REQUIREMENTS:
In addition to the requirements listed above, lateral candidates must possess the following:
- A MO POST Class A license (if candidate does not possess a MO POST Class A license, but possesses law enforcement certification through another state, he/she may participate in the testing process while seeking reciprocity through MO POST) AND
- A minimum of two years full time sworn police experience in any state within the last five years. Police experience must include the primary duties of responding to call for service, conducting preliminary and/or follow-up investigations of crimes, responding to traffic accidents and apprehending, detaining and arresting suspects.
NOTE: Candidates must submit documentation of college transcripts, certifications, and/or military DD-214, etc. in order to receive credit for meeting specific qualification.
PLEASE NOTE: Qualified applicants will be contacted via email to schedule testing.
In accordance with the City Merit Rules, a Continuous Recruitment Program has been declared for the Police Officer job classification. Based on the notice of Continuous Recruitment, applications received as a result of this posting will be considered continuously until the Director of Human Resources terminates this Continuous Recruitment Program. Eligible candidates are those who successfully pass the testing and selection process. The names of eligible candidates shall be added to and removed from the Eligible List on a continuous basis and will be submitted to departments based on rank irrespective of dates on which the testing and selection process occurred. Once a candidate attains eligible status, he/she may remain on the Eligible List for no longer than 18 months from the date the candidate attained eligibility status. If a candidate wants to be eligible after his/ her 18 month eligibility as expired, he/she must retake the testing and interview process in order to maintain eligibility as long as the Continuous Recruitment Program has not been terminated.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability and Vet
The City of Springfield is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. Individuals with disabilities should request reasonable accommodations in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act prior to testing or appointment. Proof of United States Citizenship/Authorization to Work in the United States as established by the Immigration Reform Act of 1986 is a condition of employment. Pre-employment drug testing is required.