Phase 2 Limited Subsurface Investigation
305 and 405 W. Olive Street
Date of Report: June 28, 2004
Assessment Funding: EPA Brownfields Assessment Grant
Acres: approximately 2
The properties are located in a commercial/industrial area in the central portion of Springfield and, at the time of the assessment, were used as parking lots. From 1928 through 1941 a gas station occupied the 305 W. Olive Street property and from 1936 to 1967 it also served as a bus depot. The 405 W. Olive Street property was occupied by two gas station in the 1930’s and then by one gas station in the 1950’s.
13 soil borings were advanced across the subject sites. Boring depths ranged between 4 feet and 15 feet below ground surface. No ground water was encountered during drilling. Only one sample, obtained near the surface in the area of the former bus depot, indicated the presence of petroleum hydrocarbons: TPH (Total Petroleum Hydrocarbons) concentrations as motor oil were present at 150 mg/kg, indicating some evidence of historic site activities. All other samples obtained at the subject properties exhibited no petroleum hydrocarbon concentrations above the laboratory detection limits.