Wrecking a Structure
General Procedure

Downloadable Application

Before a demolition permit can be issued there are several steps that must be taken by both the applicant and the City.

Responsibility of Applicant

  1. Complete Demolition Application which includes the following information:
    1. The site address
    2. The legal description of the property
    3. The name, phone number and address of the licensed contractor
    4. The name, phone number and address of the property owner
  2. Notify City Utilities: The applicant must contact City Utilities at 831-8888 to request termination of the water, gas and electric services.
  3. Sewer Cap/Septic Tank Abandonment: The applicant or owner is responsible for obtaining a plumbing contractor licensed and certified by the City to cap the sewer at the property line or pump and fill the septic tank, whichever is applicable.
  4. Asbestos Inspection (Commercial & Rental Properties): When the structure is a commercial building the applicant or owner is responsible for obtaining a contractor certified to perform asbestos inspections. The contractor will then submit a report to the Health Department and upon approval of the report the Health Department will release this information to the Department of Building Development Services.
  5. Driveway & Sidewalk: A driveway permit and sidewalk permit must be obtained to restore the sidewalk, curbs, gutter and parkway to line and grade of the adjoining sidewalk, curb, gutter, and parkway if applicable.

Responsibility of City

  1. Historical Site: Each structure will be checked for historical significance before issuance of a demolition permit.
  2. Asbestos inspection (Residential): Verification of whether asbestos is present or not must be determined. When the structure is residential the Health Department will perform this inspection and forward the information to the Department of Building Development Services.
  3. City Utilities: City Utilities must notify this department when all the utilities have been terminated.
  4. Plumbing Inspection: A plumbing inspector from the Department of Building Development Services must inspect and approve the sewer cap or septic system abandonment prior to the wrecking permit being issued. The plumbing contractor must alert the inspector that the work is completed and ready for inspection.
  5. Photograph: A photo will be taken and placed in files kept in the Planning and Zoning department for the City of Springfield for the purpose of record keeping for the Landmarks Board.

building development services; photo of new house construction building development home

Contact Us

Busch Municipal Building
First Floor
840 Boonville Avenue
Springfield, MO 65802

Related Info