On the Road to Success
A plan was created through an extensive public engagement process and approved by City Council in August of 2012. The implementation is being coordinated by the City Manager’s Office and is focused on action steps outlined in the plan.
To date, the following actions have been accomplished or are nearing completion:
- The Concept Plan for the Streetscape, Gateways, and the Route 66 Roadside Park was completed in March, 2013.
- The Planning Department is preparing an updated zoning ordinance and Chapter 99 Redevelopment Plan which will allow for tax abatement for redevelopment.
- The Public Works Department has done the first phase of urban forest management near the proposed Route 66 Roadside Park creating a vista of the West Meadows.
- Hy-Vee raised $1,000 toward the recreation of the “Red’s” sign for the park.
- Plans for additional private fundraising for specific Park elements are underway.
- Engineering plans are in process for the road and rain garden in the Roadside Park. It is anticipated these improvements will be installed by fall of 2014.
- The Police Department has done a great job through enhanced enforcement along College to improve the street environment.
- The environmental cleanup in the West Meadows is nearing completion, helping move it toward eventual public use.
Call 417.864.1031 to find out how you can be involved in the Route 66 Roadside Park project.