The Fire Prevention Division of the Springfield Fire Department coordinates the permitting process for various required permits issued within the City of Springfield. The following detail these permits, their requirements and fee schedule. To obtain the listed permits information click on the links below or call the Springfield Fire Department at 864-1500.
Please note: No refunds will be issued for any permits.
To perform blasting work in the City of Springfield, there is a permit requirement that must be met.
A permit is required to blast within the City of Springfield. Site inspections are performed, as well as checks for a current City business license. A certificate of insurance for the contractor and a copy of the company's State Registration are also required. For further information pertaining to blasting requirements within the city, please refer to the International Fire Code, Section 5601, as adopted by the City of Springfield.
As of July 1, 2008, the Springfield Fire Department no longer issues blaster licenses. You may contact the Missouri Division of Fire Safety at 573-526-4600 or at the following link: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Blasting Permit Fee storage:Current fee - $168
- Blasting Permit Fee use site:Current fee - $117
Explosives Storage or Use Permit Application
Bon Fire Permit
Within Springfield's city limits, no person may cause or allow open burning without a permit. Some recreational fires, which include cooking and warming fires, highway safety flares, smudge pots and similar occupational needs may be excepted. A permit must be issued by the Fire Prevention Division of the Springfield Fire Department for any other open burning activities within the city.
Ceremonial fires, or bonfires, may be allowed under specific restrictions after a permit is obtained from the Fire Prevention Division of the Fire Department. The responsible party is required to be on-site to supervise the event. All permits for bonfires shall be requested by, and issued to, the owner of the land upon which the bonfire is to be kindled. Written permission must be provided by owner/authorized agent before issuance of the permit.
In addition, an appropriate means of extinguishment must be present at the burning site, and the fire shall be constantly attended until extinguishment.
A bonfire shall be no more that 5' x 5' x 5' in dimension, and shall burn no longer than 4 hours. The placement of the bonfire shall not be closer than 50 feet away from combustible structures. Fuel for a bonfire shall consist only of seasoned dry firewood and shall be ignited by a small piece of paper. The size and duration of the fire may be increased only upon approval of the Fire Prevention Division. Wind speeds for the duration of the fire may be no greater than 15 miles per hour. Wind speed must be verified prior to the event by calling the Fire Dispatcher at 417-862-7911. A permit is required for a recreational fire with a fire greater than 3' in diameter by 2' in height. A site map and/or inspection by a Fire Marshal may be required.
For further details pertaining to open burning within the city, please refer to Section 307 of the International Fire Code, as adopted by the City of Springfield.
- Bonfire Permit Fee:Current fee - $31
- Bonfire Information Sheet
The sale, storage or usage of fireworks is not permitted within the city limits of Springfield. Those persons or organizations wishing to produce an organized public fireworks display may do so under specific restrictions, and only after obtaining a permit in accordance with Section 5601 of the International Fire Code, as adopted by the City of Springfield. In July 2009, the Fire Department began issuing the proximate audience fireworks permit in accordance with the International Fire Code, NFPA 1126, Standard for the Use of Pyrotechnics before a Proximate Audience, Missouri Revised Statute 320.106 through 320.161, and the Springfield Fire Department policy.
Please note: all permits come with one (1) rain date which must be included in the initial application and one display inspection at no charge. **There will be a charge for ALL additional Display Inspections**.
- Fireworks Permit Fee-Ground 1.4G Display:Current fee - $36
- Fireworks Permit Fee-Aerial Display:Current fee - $112
- Fireworks Permit Proximate Audience Display:Current fee - $212
- Fireworks Additional Display Inspections:Current fee - $56
- Fireworks Permit Application
Off Gas Burn Permit
Within Springfield's city limits, no person may burn off propane vapors from a storage tank without a permit. A permit must be issued by the Fire Prevention Division of the Springfield Fire Department in compliance with the International Fire Code and by authority of Springfield Fire Code, Section 105.6.
- Off Gas Burn Permit:Current fee $58
- Off Gas Permit Application
Within Springfield's city limits, all tent and canopy permits will be issued by the Fire Department. All tents, canopies or other membrane structures erected within the City of Springfield shall adhere to all provisions of Chapter 31 of the 2012 Edition of the International Fire Code as adopted by the City. Additional provisions of Chapter 31 will be required as determined by the fire code official.
View more information on tent & canopy guidelines.
Please note–tent permits are not valid until:
- The fully erected tent and interior set up pass an onsite inspection. The applicant is responsible for calling 864-1500 to schedule the inspection at least 48 hours in advance of the beginning of the event.
- The certificate of flame retardant rating for the tent is obtained and presented at the time of the onsite inspection.
- Tents must be adequately roped, braced, and anchored to withstand weather conditions at the time of the event. Weight calculations must be provided upon request.
- This permit shall remain in effect from the issue to expiration date and shall be revoked if the Guidelines for Tents/Canopies, Chapter 54 of the Springfield City Code, and the currently adopted International Fire Code, are not followed.
- The permit is good for one event only.
- Absolutely no refunds on permit
- A copy of this permit must be kept onsite and presented during the inspection.
Tent Permit:Current fee $88.00