The design theme of the park resembles local historic Phenix Quarry, near Willard, Missouri, a stone quarry that used steam operated saws to cut large blocks of limestone for shipment throughout the country. The Great Seal of the State of Missouri was carved on site at Phenix Quarry. There are five major areas within the park's boundaries.
- A 250 seat Amphitheater with a 18' by 30' stage, wired for sound and light equipment
- A re-creation of the original spring used by our founders nearthe site of the park
- An upland woods area depicting the natural hardwood forest which once existed on the site including a 10' by 120' historical mural covering the first 100 years of Springfield's citizens, buildings and local historical events
- A Historical Timeline that describes the growth of Springfield during the first 100 years and how national and international events played a part in the city's development
- An area for native prairie grasses which existed on the nearby Kickapoo Prairie
The park is lit by a combination of area lighting and Victorian-style pedestrian fixtures. An ornamental seven-foot high steel picket fence provides security for the park.
All of this is located on a 0.7 acre site at the corner of Jefferson Avenue and Water Street (330 E. Water Street). The site is in the area of the original tree blaze made by John Polk Campbell in 1829, where the development of Springfield began. The site has previously served as the location for a stone quarry, a blacksmith shop, the Herman-Sanford Horse Collar Factory, the Silsby Stove and Hardware Company, a lumberyard, and a railroad right of way.