EMPLOYMENT PROCEDURE FOR POLICE OFFICER
WITH THE CITY OF SPRINGFIELD POLICE DEPARTMENT
PLEASE READ THIS IMPORTANT NOTICE BEFORE PROCEEDING
The 2014 application and testing dates are provided below. Lateral Academy and Regular Academy applicants have the following opportunities to test: June 13/14, 2014, July 26/27, 2014 and September 12, 2014.
The City is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are committed to implementation of the mission of the City which includes working with the community and reflecting the core values consisting of Integrity and Pride of Service, Cooperation and Communication, Continuous Improvement of Services, Leadership and Knowledge, and Innovation.
1. Submit an online application to the Human Resources Department by visiting our Jobs page. Please submit copies of college transcripts, DD214, and/or class A or B certification forms with your online application or you may email the documentation to firstname.lastname@example.org or you may fax the documentation to 417-864-1186. Candidates must submit copies of supporting documentation at the time of application.
Please do not submit copies of training certificates, social security card, driver's license, birth certificates or the like at this time.
2. Anytime during the application phase, applicants are responsible for notifying the Human Resources Department of changes affecting their application. Examples include: address, phone number, education, place of employment, etc.
3. All applications are reviewed based on education, civilian or military law enforcement experience, police reserve experience, Springfield Police Cadet experience, law violations and criminal history.
4. To receive credit for college education, please submit a copy of your college transcripts at the time of application. To verify accreditation, a copy of both the front and back of the transcript is required. Please submit the application and transcripts together to speed the processing of your application.
5. Applicants deemed qualified for the position will be notified via email of the scheduled examinations. The first phase of testing includes the physical agility and written exams.
6. Individuals desiring consideration for vacancies other than Police Officer must complete a separate application online. To keep current on future vacancies visit the City of Springfield website at http://www.springfieldmo.gov, or call our Jobs Hotline 417-864-1606.
7. This application is valid for this testing and selection process only. All applications are maintained according to State record retention laws.
TESTING AND ELIGIBILITY
1. Applicants meeting job qualifications and screening criteria will be required to pass a written exam, a physical agility exam, and a personal interview. Note: Please notify us if you are unable to appear for testing and/or interviews. Failure to do so may disqualify you for consideration for future vacancies. Phone numbers are 417-864-1607 and TDD 417-864-1555.
2. The physical agility exam is rated on a pass/fail basis. Written exams are scored based on the percentage correct. Top candidates are offered interviews based on their test scores.
3. Background investigations will only be conducted on top candidates who have passed the physical agility exam, written exam and interview. The Chief of Police, Human Resources and the Resource Management Office review applications, test scores and backgrounds to determine who receives a conditional offer of employment.
4. Post-offer exams include: a medical, psychological, polygraph (lie detector) examination and drug testing.
5. The polygraph examination will include questions asked of the candidate from the following areas: employment and background investigation information; the candidate's truthfulness concerning his or her ability to perform the essential functions of the position of police officer, with or without accommodation; stealing; sexual crimes; illegal drug use; alcohol abuse; commissions of federal, state and municipal crimes, including those for which the candidate may not have been caught; specific incidents discovered during the employment screening process, background investigation process or polygraph examination that directly relates to the candidate's ability or inability to perform the duties of a police officer.
6. According to Merit Rule 5.2 by which we are governed, "Any applicant taking an entrance written test for any position with the City who fails to make a passing grade may, with approval of the Director of Human Resources, retake the test at the next regularly scheduled time. Should the applicant fail to make a passing grade on the second attempt, he will not be allowed to retake the test for such position until one year from the date of the second test. Failure to make a qualifying grade on a written test for a given position on the third attempt or failure to make a qualifying score before an oral board on the third attempt for the position is sufficient reason for permanent denial of any further consideration of the applicant. This Rule shall only apply to written and oral boards as outlined above and does not apply to other testing or evaluation methods such as skills testing, physical agility testing and assessment centers."
If, at any time, you have questions concerning the employment procedure for the City, please contact the Human Resources Department at 417-864-1607.