Information and Education
The City of Springfield provides community education and awareness of recycling benefits through various activities including:
- Tours of recycling facilities
- Recycling Hotline, 417.864.1904
- Traveling display for trade shows, science fairs, etc.
- Environmental education speakers bureau
- Presentations to school classes, community groups, churches, civic clubs, neighborhood associations, and other groups and organizations
- Special Events: Earth Day, America Recycles Day, and others
- Brochure distribution related to various aspects of solid waste management including composting, Business Recycling Programs, and others
- Working with the community through local citizen groups and organizations
If you are interested in a speaker for your club or organization, or are interested in our printed materials, please call the Recycling Hotline at 417.864.1904.
Grants are available through MO Dept. of Natural Resources for scrap tire playground cover and other surfacing projects.
Community Resource Guide - Compiled by the Interpreters Coalition of Springfield-Greene County to assist in utilizing the varied resources of our community toward field education and hands-on learning experiences.
Karst in the Ozarks - An educational video about caves, springs, losing streams, and sinkholes
The following materials are available for you to check out from the City of Springfield:
- Classroom posters - "How to Recycle," "Garbage Pizza," "Milk Jugs to Toys"
- Rotten Truth video - A young, enthusiastic girl takes you to a landfill, recycling centers and shares ideas on fighting the "trash problem."
- Recycled sample kits*
- Household chemical kits*
*Please give one week advance notice prior to needing these items. Because of high demand for these items, we ask that they be returned in one week; however, special arrangements can be made.