Vision and Values
As members of the Springfield Police Department, we are committed to providing quality service to our community through personal integrity, fairness, open communication and a helpful attitude.
We will provide quality, professional service to our community by:
· Enforcing the law;
· Preventing crime, thereby improving the quality of life;
· Responding promptly to calls for service and other public needs;
· Conducting thorough investigations;
· Providing state of the art training and continuing education programs;
· Leading by example.
Having sound moral principles that earn the trust, respect, and confidence of the community and each other through:
· Being honest, and demanding the same from each other;
· Living by the rules we enforce.
To provide equal treatment of all persons without prejudice or bias by:
· Treating all persons with dignity and respect;
· Expressing compassion in our attitudes and in our communication;
· Ensuring consistency in decision making without favoritism.
Sharing information and knowledge with the community, other agencies, and within our department as allowed by law through:
· Actively listening to all concerned;
· Keeping crime victims informed about their cases and where to go for additional help;
· Educating the community about crime risks and prevention;
· Informing the community about the inner workings of our department;
· Encouraging the open exchange of ideas and information.
A helpful attitude is fundamental to earning the respect and confidence of the community. We will accomplish this by:
· Treating people's problems as important;
· Being polite and courteous;
· Showing empathy and concern for the needs of others;
· Showing pride in our profession tempered by humility.