Back-To-School Safety Tips
It's that time of year again when summer draws to a close and area schools open their doors for another school year.
By following these safety tips we can help make this back to school season a happy and safe experience for everyone.
- Plan a safe route for your children to take to school and walk it with your child so you will know that they are comfortable with it. Also plan an alternate route in case it should become necessary.
- Avoid planning the route too close to parks, vacant lots, fields, and places where there are not many people around.
- Whenever possible, it's best to walk with other children.
- Be sure that your children know their address, phone number, and a work number for Mom or Dad. Also be sure the child knows how and when to use 911.
- If your child will be home alone after school, make sure that he calls you or a designated contact person as soon as they arrive home. Also make sure the child knows not to use the stove or any other appliance that could cause injury.
- Make sure your children are comfortable talking to you about anything that makes them feel uneasy or uncomfortable while away from home such as persons acting suspicious on their way to and from school or if they feel bullied by other children.
- And as always, when driving, pay very close attention to children who may not be paying attention to you. Also obey speed limits in school zones and stop for loading and unloading school buses.
Here's hoping for a happy and safe school year.