New Highway Work Zone Law Began August 28, 2006
This act includes various provisions relating to the safe operation of motor vehicles to ensure the safety of highway workers, emergency workers and other motorists.
This act increases various penalties for offenses occurring within highway work zones or construction zones. Under this act, any person convicted of a second or subsequent moving violation within a work zone shall be assessed a fine of $75.00. The act provides that a person who is convicted of speeding or passing a vehicle within a work zone when a highway worker is present a second or subsequent time shall be assessed a fine of $300.00 in addition to any other fine authorized by law (Section 304.582).
The act also creates the crime of "endangerment of a highway worker." The act provides that if a person commits the offense of endangerment of a highway worker in which no injury or death results the person shall be subject to a fine of not more than $1,000.00 and shall have 4 points assessed to their driver’s license. The person shall be guilty of aggravated endangerment of a highway worker if a death or injury results.
If a highway worker is injured or killed in a work zone, the offender shall be subject to a fine of not more than $5,000.00 for an injury and not more than $10,000.00 if death resulted and have 12 points assessed to his or her license.
Under that act, a person commits the offense of endangerment of a highway worker if the motorist:
- Exceeds the posted speed limit by 15 mph or more;
- Passes another vehicle in a work zone and such offense results in the death or injury of a highway worker;
- Fails to stop for a work zone flagman or fails to obey traffic control signals erected in the work zone;
- Physically assaults or attempts to assault a highway worker with a motor vehicle or other instrument;
- Intentionally strikes or moves barrels, barriers, signs or other devices erected to control the flow of traffic for a reason other than avoidance of an obstacle, emergency or to protect the health and safety of another person; or
- Commits various offenses in which points may be assessed under section 302.302 (Section 304.585) The act provides for the assessment of 4 points for an endangerment of a highway worker violation and 12 points for an aggravated endangerment of a highway worker violation (Section 302.302).
With this new law, is it really worth speeding in a work zone?
Be safe on the roadway and obey all traffic laws. Your life or someone else’s may be at stake.