Cold Cases


If you have any information concerning the following cold cases, please call Crime Stoppers at 417-869-TIPS (8477) or submit a tip online.

Three Missing Women

Clara L. Batton

No Photo

Case Number 92-9851
416 W. Nichols

On 02/12/1992, at approximately 11:45 a.m., the Springfield Police Department responded to 416 W. Nichols to conduct a death investigation.  The reporting party was a home health nurse who discovered the 67-year-old female resident, Clara L. Batton, lying deceased in a pool of blood on the kitchen floor.   It was later determined the victim died as a result of a homicide. 

Clara Batton lived at the residence with her 96-year-old blind and deaf father, William E. Batton.  William was located lying in his bed unharmed. Furthermore, it was determined the victim’s light blue, 1984 Dodge Omni was missing from the residence.  The vehicle was discovered parked on the lot of a local convenience store where it had been abandoned.  During the neighborhood canvas, it was determined that the victim was last seen alive by a neighbor the previous afternoon (Tuesday 02/11/1992).


Paul Anstutz

No Photo

Case Number 92-76960
2546 S. Glenwood Terrace

On October 8, 1992, at 8:42 p.m. Springfield Police Officers were dispatched to 2546 S. Glenwood Terrace for a report of the homeowner being shot as he interrupted a burglary at the residence.  Officers arrived and discovered the residents of the home, Paul Anstutz and his wife, returned to the home after being gone for a few hours and discovered someone had broken into their home.  Mr. Anstutz and his wife entered the home and discovered a male suspect inside the home.  The male suspect attempted to flee from the home.  Mr. Anstutz confronted the suspect and Mr. Anstutz was shot during the confrontation.  The suspect then fled from the home.  Mr. Anstutz was transported from the home to a local hospital where he died as a result of a gunshot wound.


Frank Stanton

Frank Stanton

Frank Stanton's vehicle

Case Number 93-42173
1300 Block of E. Republic Road

On 06/10/1993, the Springfield Police Department investigated the homicide of Frank Stanton.  At approximately 4:30 a.m., an off-duty police officer discovered Stanton’s 1985 maroon Toyota pickup truck on the side of the road in the 1300 block of E. Republic Road.  Stanton was located deceased inside the vehicle, and the cause of death was determined to be from a gunshot.  Stanton was reported to be driving to his place of employment, the Springfield News-Leader, where he worked as a carrier.  It is believed the shooting took place sometime between 3:40 a.m. and 4:30 a.m., based on witness statements of other delivery persons that consistently traveled through this area.


Gloria Jean Barnes Gloria Jean Barnes
Case Number 97-43653
4525 W. Chestnut Expressway

On 7/13/1997, at approximately 8:29 a.m., patrol officers from the Springfield Police Department were dispatched to the Seven Gables truck stop located at 4525 W. Chestnut Expressway to investigate a report of a dead body that had been discovered by four truck drivers.  Patrol officers responded to the truck stop and located the body of a deceased white female lying on the asphalt parking lot behind the business.  The body was wrapped in blankets and had been placed in the open area of the parking lot.  The victim was wearing a white “Spring Break” t-shirt and black shorts.  The victim was later identified as Gloria Jean Barnes (DOB 7/14/1961). 

The truck stop where the victim’s body was discovered is located approximately one half mile off of Interstate 44 on the west side of Springfield.  The truck stop is not visible from the Interstate and it does receive a lot of traffic.  The perpetrator did not try to hide or conceal the victim’s body from being discovered.      

The follow-up investigation revealed that Gloria Barnes was last seen alive in Joiner, Arkansas around midnight on 7/10/1997.  According to the victim’s brother, Gloria called him on 7/11/1997 at approximately 1:45 a.m. and reported that someone was trying to get her.  According to family members, Gloria had been paranoid in the past about people following her.  The telephone call was later traced to a payphone that was located on the parking lot of a convenience store in Joiner, Arkansas.  This convenience store was burglarized on the same night as Gloria’s disappearance.  There was an unconfirmed sighting of Gloria walking toward Interstate 55 approximately one mile west of Joiner.  Joiner is a rural town located just off Interstate 55 near the Tennessee border. 

The Springfield Police Department has received numerous leads and tips concerning Gloria’s death.  Investigators are particularly interested in two Crimestopper tips that were called in anonymously shortly after the victim’s body was discovered.  The investigators are also interested in CB traffic that was intercepted from an unknown person that claimed responsibility for Gloria’s death.  Additional information received involved a gray semi truck possibly providing a ride to Gloria shortly before her death.  The truck reportedly had the word “Graceland” on the cab and a picture of “Elvis” on the fairing.  Additionally, the name “Memphis Consolidation” and/or “Trailer Transit” was displayed on the doors of the semi truck cab.


John A. Moody John A. Moody
Case Number 98-54788
1111 E. Trafficway

On November 17, 1998, at 11:46 a.m. Springfield Police Officers were dispatched to 1111 E. Trafficway, the Conco quarry, concerning a possible body found floating in the water.  Officers arrived and confirmed the discovery of a deceased male’s body in the quarry.  The deceased male was later identified as 23-year-old John A. Moody.  An autopsy was completed and it was determined Moody died as the result of a gunshot wound.

Officers and detectives conducted an extensive investigation and discovered Moody’s family and friends reported last seeing Moody or having contact with Moody approximately one month prior to the discovery of his body.  It is unknown how long Moody’s body may have been in the quarry before it was discovered.


James Leon Medler James Leon Medler
Case Number 01-1109
3043 W. Lynn

On January 7, 2001, at approximately 11:00 p.m., officers responded to 3043 W. Lynn to investigate a report of gunshots being fired.  Officers arrived on scene a short time later and located James Leon Medler (40 y.o.a.) lying in the front doorway of the residence.  Medler died at the scene as the result of a gunshot wound.

The victim’s son, Jamie Medler, Jr., reported he was present inside the home when several black male suspects forced entry through the locked front door.  Jamie and a female associate said they fled the residence through the back door fearing they would be attacked by the suspects.  Jamie and the female associate advised they heard a gunshot from inside the residence as they jumped the fence in the backyard.  Jamie returned to the house several minutes later and found his father lying on the floor in a pool of blood.

Detectives canvassed the neighborhood for possible witnesses.  Neighbors reported hearing gunshots coming from Medler’s house and then observed numerous black males running from the scene.  Witnesses described seeing three vehicles flee the scene and they were described as a maroon four door Cadillac or Buick, a yellow Ford Mustang with a black top, and a white four door Dodge Neon.


Herbert Blakey Herbert Blakey
Case Number 02-14564
1102 E. Atlantic

On 3/30/2002 at 2:13 a.m., officers with the Springfield Police Department were dispatched to 1102 E. Atlantic, Springfield, MO, regarding a life-threatening assault in progress.  Upon arrival, officers located Herbert Blakey lying on the front porch and bleeding.  Officers administered CPR until EMS transported Blakey to a local hospital where he was pronounced dead. 

Blakey was seen on 3/29/2002 coming and going from 1102 E. Atlantic during the evening hours and into the early morning hours of 3/30/2002.  Blakey was in the company of several individuals at the residence.  Blakey was provided transportation to different locations to buy items and meet with people.  Blakey returned to 1102 E. Atlantic and stayed until the early morning hours.  Upon exiting the residence, Blakey was assaulted by an unknown person.