Located at 409 West McDaniel, the Calaboose (jail), built in 1891, is the oldest existing structure owned by the City of Springfield. It was rescued from deterioration caused by age, weather, and lack of ongoing maintenance.
This federally recognized historical restoration returns the structure to use as a police substation and includes a police museum on the first floor. Information gathered from research in the City archives was used to assure historic accuracy in the restorative design. Whenever available, original materials were used and reconstruction components were consistent with the Secretary of the Interior's Standards for Historic Preservation Projects. In addition, the State of Missouri Historical Preservation Program was involved throughout the entire project to ensure a high standard of restoration and quality of workmanship. Their involvement, along with great attention to detail, enabled this structure to return to prominence in the community.
Tours of the building and the police museum are available most weekdays by appointment only. Please make arrangements by calling 417-864-1976.
The next open house is scheduled for July 5, 2013, from 6-9 p.m. The community is invited!