Safety Tips for Walking at Night
With spring approaching, more and more people will be getting out to enjoy the warm evenings. Many of us like to walk or jog during this time of year. Here are a few precautions to take to protect you while walking or jogging at night:
- Avoid walking or running alone at night. Instead go walking or jogging with a friend.
- Don't use headphones while walking, driving, or jogging.
- Always walk in well-lighted areas.
- Avoid the use of shortcuts.
- After dark, keep away from large bushes or doorways where someone could be lurking.
- Always stay near the curb.
- If someone in a vehicle stops and asks for directions, answer from a distance. Do not approach the vehicle.
- If followed, go immediately to an area with lights and people. If necessary, turn around and walk in the opposite direction. Your follower will also have to reverse directions.
- Do not display cash openly, especially when leaving an ATM.
Following these tips will help keep you safe while you exercise in the evening.