Motorized Bikes and Mopeds

There have been many questions on Motorized Bikes and Mopeds as far as the law on 49cc Scooters. I am providing this information in hopes that you will understand the requirements to drive them on the streets. This information can be located in the Missouri Department Of Revenue Driver's Guide or the Motorcycle Operator Manual.

Licensing depends partly on the "cc" displacement of the engine in the scooter/moped (motorized bicycle). The definition of a motorized bicycle (as opposed to a motorcycle) is as follows:

"Any two-wheeled or three-wheeled device having an automatic transmission and a motor with a cylinder capacity of not more than fifty (50) cubic centimeters, which produces less than three (3) gross horsepower, and is capable of propelling the device at a maximum speed of not more than thirty (30) miles per hour on level ground."

If the scooter/moped qualifies as a motorized bicycle, you must have a valid driver license, though no motorcycle endorsement is required. A motorized bicycle does not have to be registered with the Missouri Department Of Revenue, which means you don't have to have a license plate or insurance on the vehicle. You also are not required to wear a helmet, but it is strongly advised.

Keep in mind that "no motorized bicycle may be operated on any public thoroughfare located within this state which has been designated as part of the federal interstate highway system." Examples of federal interstate highway system in Springfield would be I-44, US 65, US 60.

One other thing you need to remember when you go to buy a motorized bicycle and the salesman tells you it's a 49 cc and tells you that you don't need some of these things I mentioned above, if that scooter does accelerate over thirty (30) miles per hour on level ground, then it isn't a scooter, but a motorcycle.


Traffic Safety Tip Index