Education & Involvement

What is a watershed?

The area of land that drains to a waterway such as a river or lake is its watershed. Each watershed is part of a bigger watershed. The Springfield area is made up of many small watersheds. These small watersheds drain into one of two larger watersheds - the James River or the Sac River. Some portions of the Springfield area are not part of a smaller watershed, but drain directly into the James River or the Sac River. These two watersheds are each part of different, larger watersheds that eventually drain to the Gulf of Mexico.

Storm water pollution prevention not only makes a difference locally, but downstream as well. Find out where runoff from your home ends up by figuring out your watershed address.

watershed mapWatershed Address

Where does your runoff go? (3.11 mb) For printed copies of the brochure that includes this watershed address map, contact Carrie Lamb at 417.864.1996.

For a more detailed map, visit our interactive stormwater map (under Layer Control, turn on the Watersheds layer)


Other Maps

Springfield Area Watersheds and Sinkholes Map. A full size (approx. 3' x 3.5') print of this map can be purchased for a reproduction cost of $25 by contacting Errin Kemper at 417.864.1876.

photo of manhole cover with words upstream starts here, protect our waterways stormwater engineering home

Contact Us

Busch Building
PO BOX 8368
840 Boonville Avenue
Springfield, MO 65802
Tel: 417.864.1901
Fax: 417.864.1907

Related Links