For Immediate Release
Weekend of holiday activities at Botanical Center
The Springfield-Greene County Botanical Center hosts several garden-themed holiday activities throughout the weekend, including:
- "The Dickensian Christmas" Tablescapes with Peter Longley — Entertain with high style as you learn to dress your table for a special holiday meal inspired by Charles Dickens' "A Christmas Carol." Host Peter Longley guides participants through designing a formal table setting for a Christmas meal, including building a floral centerpiece and arranging china, silver, glassware, linens and holiday décor. Each presentation includes a fictitious menu, poetry, readings and anecdotes related to the season. Presentations are followed by seasonal refreshments. Friday, Dec. 13, 6 p.m. Springfield-Greene County Botanical Center, 2400 S. Scenic Ave. Registration required, admission $10. www.parkboard.org/botanical/ 417-891-1515.
- Wreath-making workshop — Make your own fresh and fragrant holiday wreath with greenery, berries, dried flowers, fruits, cones and pods from the nearby gardens in Nathanael Greene/Close Memorial Park. A great adult-child activity for age 10 and up. Saturday, Dec. 14, 10 a.m. – noon. Springfield-Greene County Botanical Center, 2400 S. Scenic Ave. Registration required, admission is $25 and includes all materials. www.parkboard.org/botanical/ 417-891-1515.
- Santa and Friends — Far from the malls, enjoy the subtle winter landscape and holiday exhibits at the Springfield-Greene County Botanical Center, 2400 S. Scenic Ave. Visit with Santa, see the holiday train garden display and enjoy other kids activities. Sunday, Dec. 15, noon to 4 p.m. Admission is free, some activities have a fee. www.parkboard.org/botanical/ 417-891-1515.
- Holiday Train Garden Display — The magic of miniature landscapes and moving model trains transforms the Botanical Center atrium into a holiday wonderland. Presented by the Ozarks Garden Railway Society at the Springfield-Greene County Botanical Center, 2400 S. Scenic Ave. Dec. 1- 31, open Mondays – Saturday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Sundays, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Free. Donations accepted. www.parkboard.org/botanical/ 417-891-1515.
Holiday activities continue throughout the Springfield-Greene County Park Board parks and facilities, including:
- Little Critters Holiday Nature Crafts & Games — Make holiday nature crafts and play games at the Watershed Center at Valley Water Mill Park, 2300 E. Valley Water Mill Road. Participants take home a packet. For kids ages 3-6 with an adult. Saturday, Dec. 14, 10-11:30 a.m. Registration required by Dec. 10, admission is $5/child, or $3/child for three kids or more. www.parkboard.org 417-833-8647.
- Downtown Springfield Christmas Parade — The annual parade, presented by the Urban Districts Alliance, begins at South Avenue and Elm Street, circles around Park Central Square, continues on East St. Louis Street and Kimbrough Avenue, and ends at Jordan Valley Park, 635 E. Trafficway. Includes more than 60 floats, 10 marching bands and Santa himself. Saturday, Dec. 14, 2-4 p.m. Free. www.itsalldowntown.com 417-831-6200.
- Free Ice Skating at Mediacom Ice Park— In conjunction with the Festival of Lights, Mediacom Ice Park offers several free ice skating opportunities at 635 E. Trafficway. Skate rental is $2.50. Free skating is Saturday, Dec. 14, 7:45-8:45 p.m.; Saturday, Dec. 21, 5-6 p.m.; Christmas Day, 5-6 p.m. See full schedule at www.icepark.org/ 417-866-7444.
- First Night Springfield — Ring in the New Year at First Night Springfield 2014, a family-friendly New Year's Eve celebration in downtown Springfield. This year features more than 20 performances and activities at 10 venues, including Mediacom Ice Park, and a midnight fireworks finale in Jordan Valley Park. Presented by the Springfield Regional Arts Council. Tuesday, Dec. 31, 8 p.m. – midnight. Tickets $8/each or $30/family 4-pack in advance, $10/each or $35/family 4-pack at the event. Children 3 and under free. Details at firstnightspringfield.org. 417-831-6200.
- Candy Cane Lane — Enjoy a drive-through light display with more than 10,000 lights and Christmas displays at Rutledge-Wilson Farm Park, 3825 W. Farm Road 146. Open Fridays and Saturday, 5-7 p.m., Nov. 29- Dec. 21., weather permitting. Admission is $3 per vehicle. Info at www.parkboard.org 417-837-5949.
For more information on these events, call the number listed.
For media inquiries only, call Jenny Fillmer Edwards, Public Information Administrator for the Springfield-Greene County Park Board, at 471-874-2176 or 417-224-5510.