For Immediate Release
Community Tennis hosts Springfield Tennis Day
The Springfield-Greene County Park Board's Community Tennis program invites residents to try tennis for free on Springfield Tennis Day, Saturday, June 21, 9 a.m. to noon, at courts throughout the area.
Springfield Tennis Day is part of the International Tennis Federation's World Tennis Day, designed to make the sport easily accessible for one day, with the goal of increasing tennis participation around the world.
The Park Board will staff seven tennis courts in and near Springfield with tennis professionals to give instruction to anyone from beginners to seasoned players. The staffed sites include:
- Cooper Tennis Complex, 2331 E. Pythian St., Springfield
- Gillenwaters Tennis Complex, 3635 S. Jefferson Ave., Springfield
- Gerald Perry Tennis Courts, at the corner of National Avenue and Bennett Street, Springfield
- Doling Family Center, 301 E. Talmage St., Springfield
- Millwood Country Club, 3700 E. Millwood Dr., Ozark (Staffed by Millwood.)
- Westport School-Park, 3100 W. Mt. Vernon St., Springfield
- Spring Creek Subdivision, 2110 E. Lakewood St., Springfield
"This is a great opportunity to come out and play one of the most popular sports in the world," said Larry Haugness, Community Tennis Coordinator at Cooper Tennis Complex. "We have age- and skill-appropriate equipment which has made it a lot easier for everyone to learn and play."
Age-appropriate rackets and balls will be provided, although anyone with their own racket is encouraged to bring it. Participants should also bring their own water bottle. Some participants may win Springfield Lasers tickets and other tennis gear.
Individuals who cannot make it to a staffed location are still encouraged to play tennis during Springfield Tennis Day at any of the 78 public tennis courts in Springfield.
For more information call Larry Haugness, Community Tennis Coordinator at Cooper Tennis Complex, at 417-837-5800. Information regarding World Tennis Day is available online at worldtennisday.com