For Immediate Release
Earth Day 2009
Springfield/Greene County Choose Environmental Excellence will celebrate Earth Day 2009 in Springfield with a month of hands-on-work projects and educational opportunities.
Highlights will include:
- Dickerson Park Zoo will announce the recipient of the annual Earth Hero Award during its Party for the Planet, which will be held from 10 a.m.-2 p.m., Saturday, April 18.
- Springfield Conservation Nature Center will host educational activities and hands-on work projects for all ages on Saturday, April 18, and Wednesday, April 22.
- Springfield/Greene County Choose Environmental Excellence will present the annual environmental stewardship awards at a luncheon hosted by the Springfield Area Chamber of Commerce on Friday, April 17. Several groups sponsor awards to recognize exemplary behavior that protects and preserves our environment.
- The Discovery Center of Springfield will host a free day, including educational exhibits and activities from 10 a.m.-5 p.m., Sunday, April 19, sponsored by Springfield/Greene County Choose Environmental Excellence and underwritten by the Partnership for Sustainability. Several exciting “green” announcements will be made during the celebration at the Discovery Center!
- An Earth Day Extravaganza is planned at the Library Center beginning at 2 p.m., Saturday, April 18.
- Premier showings of the new documentary “H20 Ozarks – a Water Quality Commitment” will be held at the Moxie Cinema at 6 p.m., Thursday, April 23. Admission is free.
- The Computer Recycling Center, 1434 N. National Ave., will host an E-waste collection from 9 a.m.-4 p.m. on Saturday, April 18.
- Habitat for Humanity Earth Day at the Re-Store will be held from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. on Saturday, April 25.
Many other activities, clean-ups, recycling drives and educational activities will take place throughout the month of April. For a complete, up-to-date listing, including volunteer opportunities, visit www.OzarksEnvironment.com. The Web site will be updated as additional information is available.
For more information, contact: Barbara Lucks, City of Springfield, at 864-2005 or firstname.lastname@example.org.