For Immediate Release
Choose Environmental Excellence Awards April 17
The ninth Annual Springfield/Greene County Choose Environmental Excellence awards will be presented at noon, Friday, April 17, 2009, at a luncheon at the Springfield Area Chamber of Commerce as a part of Springfield’s Earth Day festivities. Nine organizations will be presenting awards this year.
- Ozark Greenways, Inc. will recognize efforts toward meeting the organization’s mission of preserving green space through linear parks (greenways/trails). Executive Director Terry Whaley will make the presentation. (Contact: Terry Whaley – 864-2014)
- The Watershed Committee of the Ozarks award will showcase accomplishments that further the protection of Springfield’s drinking water resources. Executive Director, Loring Bullard will present the award. (Contact: Loring Bullard – 866-1127)
- Solid Waste Management District “O” Advisory Board members will recognize efforts toward waste reduction and recycling with their Environmental Service Awards. District “O” covers the counties of Christian, Polk, Dallas, Greene and Webster. Presiding Greene County Commissioner Dave Coonrod and Waste District “O” Chair Tim Smith will present the awards. (Contact: Robert Hamilton 417-859-5786)
- The Springfield/Greene County Environmental Advisory Board will recognize a business, agency, group or individual that has gone beyond normal practices to promote, improve or support sustainable environmentally conscious activities. Board Chair Mike Kromrey will make the presentation.(Contact: Karen McKinnis - 864-1623)
- The Tree City USA Citizens’ Advisory Committee will recognize efforts toward enhancing Springfield’s community forest. (Contact: Joe Payne - 864-1954; Benjamin Kellner – 864-1178)
- The Springfield Area Chamber of Commerce will recognize a Chamber member whose efforts toward environmental stewardship serve as a model for business and industry. Matt Morrow, Springfield Home Builders Association, last year’s award recipient, will present the award. (Contact: Jen Johnson – 862-5567)
- Barbara Lucks will recognize outstanding efforts toward environmental/conservation education with the presentation of her annual award. (Contact: Barbara Lucks – 864-2005)
- The Greater Ozarks Audubon Society will recognize exemplary efforts toward their mission of promoting bird conservation in southwest Missouri. President Charles Burwick will present the award. (Contact: Charles Burwick – 889-0995)
- The Environmental Collaborative of the Community Partnership of the Ozarks will recognize efforts exemplifying partnering and working together to foster an appreciation of the role of a healthy natural environment in the health and well being of the southwest Missouri region. Michelle Garand will present the award. (Contact: Barbara Lucks – 864-2005.)
Reservations for the luncheon are available by calling the Springfield Area Chamber of Commerce at 862-5567 or online at www.SpringfieldChamber.com. Choose Environmental Excellence is a voluntary, non-regulatory education program that encourages increased awareness of our impact on our natural environment, presents viable alternatives and recognizes accomplishments that foster environmentally responsible decisions.
For additional information, contact: Barbara Lucks, Springfield Public Works, (417) 864-2005.