For Immediate Release
Cooper Honors, Free Lessons Celebrate National Tennis Month
The Springfield-Greene County Park Board’s Cooper Tennis Complex was awarded top honors by the Tennis Industry Association, U.S. Tennis Association and the trade magazine Racquet Sports Industry. The Park Board also has set its Free-For-All tennis lesson dates for the month of May, celebrating National Tennis Month.
Cooper Tennis Complex was recognized as a “Top 50 Tennis Welcome Center of 2008” by independent research firm Sports Marketing Surveys USA, of Jupiter, Fla. The facility was recognized as one of 50 leading the charge in the growth of tennis by providing well-rounded programs to new and current players of all ages and abilities.
To celebrate National Tennis Month, the Park Board will provide free tennis lessons for youth six years of age and older, along with adult instruction. Equipment will be provided at each location and attendees do not need to pre-register. The dates are:
- 7 – 8:30 p.m., Tuesday, May 5, Doling Park, 301 E. Talmage St.;
- 6 – 7:30 p.m., Friday, May 8, Perry Tennis Courts, National Avenue & Bennett Street;
- 6 – 7:30 p.m., Wednesday, May 13, Cooper Tennis Complex, 2331 E. Pythian St.;
- 7 – 8:30 p.m., Monday, May 18, Meador Park, 2500 S. Fremont Ave.;
- 6 – 7:30 p.m., Thursday, May 21, Perry Tennis Courts, National Avenue & Bennett Street; and
- 10 – 11:30 a.m., Saturday, May 30, Gillenwaters Tennis Complex, 3635 S. Jefferson Ave.
For more information on the free tennis lessons or to register for youth and adult tennis programs currently available, call the Cooper Tennis Complex at (417) 837-5800.
For more information, media contact: Larry Haugness, Recreation Supervisor, (417) 837-5800; or Bob Nelson, Public Information Administrator, (417) 874-2176.