For Immediate Release
Milling, Resurfacing Impacts Several City Streets
Milling, resurfacing and restriping of Kimbrough Avenue from Grand Street north to Trafficway will begin next week on Monday, Aug. 10, 2009. When completed, the street will have the same three-lane configuration now seen on Kimbrough from Grand Street south to Sunshine Street. The new driving surface and lane configuration — two through lanes and a dedicated turn lane — will improve safety for motorists and pedestrians along this corridor.
Other improvements at the conclusion of the project will include:
- Left turns will be permitted at all times of day on Kimbrough at Walnut and Kimbrough at St. Louis, where left turns are currently prohibited between 4 and 6 p.m. on weekdays. There will be dedicated left-turn lanes at Madison Street, Cherry Street, Elm Street, Walnut Street, McDaniel Street and St. Louis Street to relieve bottlenecks.
- A new loading zone lane will be designated on the east side of Kimbrough Avenue between Walnut and Trafficway to allow vehicles to legally park as needed to support activities in the Shrine Mosque and adjacent businesses without obstructing traffic.
All of the traffic-lane changes will be accomplished within the width of the existing street without any reconstruction. Kimbrough will remain open throughout the project, but lanes may be reduced at times. Milling and resurfacing work is expected to be completed by Aug. 14, 2009, weather permitting. The project is funded by the quarter-cent sales tax for capital improvements.
In addition, several other Center City streets also will be milled and resurfaced by the contractor beginning next week. The streets will remain open but lanes may be reduced at times. Those streets include:
- John Q. Hammons Parkway, from Harrison Street to St. Louis Street
- Cherry Street, from Jefferson Avenue to National Avenue
- Campbell Avenue, from Grand Street to Mount Vernon Street, and from Mill Street to Chestnut Expressway
The contractor will then resurface short sections of three streets downtown. The streets will remain open, but lanes may be reduced at times. The streets include:
- Olive Street, from Campbell Avenue to Market Avenue, resurfacing only
- Market Avenue, from Olive Street to College Street, milling and resurfacing
- McDaniel Street, from South Avenue to Campbell Avenue, resurfacing only
For more information, contact: John Drury, Public Works Operations, (417) 864-1102; or Mike Brothers, Public Information, (417) 864-1119.