For Immediate Release
Japanese Fall Festival Includes Special Performances
The Springfield Sister Cities Association, with support from the Springfield-Greene County Park Board, will host the 14th annual Japanese Fall Festival on Friday, Sept. 11 through Sunday, Sept. 13, in the Mizumoto Japanese Stroll Garden at Nathanael Greene/Close Memorial Park, 2400 S. Scenic Ave. with special performances seen at Walt Disney World in Orlando, Fla.
The three-day festival runs from 5:30 – 10 p.m., Friday night, and 11 a.m. – 10 p.m. both Saturday and Sunday. Admission is $5 for adults; $3 for kids 12 and younger; and toddlers two years of age and under are free.
This year’s highlights include:
- Opening ceremonies on Friday night with a children’s parade comprised of hundreds of local first-through-sixth grade elementary students, who were invited as ambassadors to represent their classes from every Springfield public elementary school;
- Miyuki Sugimori, an expert candy art designer, whose performances can be seen regularly at Walt Disney World;
- Kuniko Yamamoto, a traditional Japanese storyteller who uses illusions, masks and costumes to tell her stories. She also can be seen regularly at Walt Disney World;
- Taiko drumming group Osuwa Taiko, from St. Louis;
- Traditional Japanese top spinner Hiroshi Tada, from St. Louis; and
- Local martial artists groups, including those with sword demonstrations.
Video/Web site resources for performance groups are available at www.springfieldmo.gov/sistercities/news.html or call (417) 864-1191. A complete weekend schedule of events and times will be released next week.
The festival also hosts daily tea ceremonies in the lakeside tea house, nightly candlelight strolls through the garden, hands-on activities for children, presentations by local performers, authentic Japanese food and regional artisans and merchants. A large tent top market features Japanese souvenirs and apparel for sale, with all proceeds benefiting SSCA.
For more information, media contact: Cindy Jobe, Festival Coordinator, (417) 891-1191.