For Immediate Release
Immunization Coalition Announces High Risk Seasonal Flu Shot Clinics
The Springfield Flu Immunization Coalition has announced the schedule for its 2009 high-risk “seasonal” flu shot clinics. These vaccinations offer protection against seasonal flu and will not protect against the H1N1 virus. A separate vaccination will be needed for protection against H1N1 when it becomes available.
As in years past, the coalition will distribute vouchers for the area high-risk clinics one week. Then it will conduct a week of vaccination clinics (voucher required) for individuals at high-risk* of developing complications of the flu.
Under the voucher system, high-risk adults will be able to reserve flu vaccine and select a clinic site in advance. Individuals may pick up vouchers for high-risk adults. Vouchers will be available for pickup at three sites:
- Southwest Missouri Office on Aging, 1735 S. Fort Ave., 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, October 19-23;
- Jordan Valley Community Health Center Clinic, 440 E. Tampa St., 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, October 19-23;
- Northview Senior Center, 301 E. Talmage, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, October 19-23.
*Individuals eligible for the vouchers include adults age 65 and older, adults with chronic health conditions, women who will be pregnant during the influenza season; and individuals in close contact with the sick or people in nursing homes and long-term care facilities. Health care workers, also considered a high-risk group, should get their flu shots through employers or physicians. (Children under the age of 18 will not be vaccinated at these clinics. Parents or guardians should check with their physician.)
The Springfield Flu Immunization Coalition’s high-risk clinics are scheduled October 26-30. The clinics will be open from 7:00 a.m. until noon. To receive a shot, individuals must present their voucher at the designated time, date and location listed on the voucher.
- Monday, Oct. 26 - Ozarks Community Hospital (formerly Doctor’s Hospital), 2828 N. National
- Tuesday, Oct. 27 - St. John’s C.H. “Chub” O’Reilly Cancer Center, 2055 S. Fremont, 2nd Floor
- Wednesday, Oct. - 28 Northview Senior Center, 301 E. Talmage
- Thursday, Oct. 29 - St. Agnes School, 531 S. Jefferson St.
- Friday, October 30 - CoxHealth Meyer Fitness Center, 3545 S. National Ave.
Vaccine for the clinics will be made available to Greene County residents again this year through the cooperation of the Springfield Flu Immunization Coalition. Members include the Greene County Medical Society, Springfield-Greene County Health Department, CoxHealth, Ozarks Community Hospital and St. John’s Health System. For updates on vouchers and clinics, call the Influenza hotline 417/864-1166.
For more information, contact: Springfield-Greene County Health Department, 874-1220 or Greene County Medical Society, 887-1017