For Immediate Release
Free Events Kick Off Outdoor Fitness Festival
The Springfield-Greene County Park Board will participate in the 3rd Annual Bass Pro Shops Outdoor Fitness Festival with a number of free outdoor recreational activities, hands-on clinics, and demonstration booths, beginning this weekend with “Greater Outdoor Days” at Lake Springfield Park, 2312 Lake Springfield Park Road.
The Park Board’s Outdoor Initiatives section and Wonders of Wildlife will partner on the opening weekend as part of the three-week festival running Oct. 16 – Nov. 1. For a full listing of all activities during the three weeks, visit www.basspro.com/fitness. Advance registration is required for some of the activities.
Greater Outdoor Days runs 9:30 a.m. – 4 p.m., Saturday, Oct. 17 & Noon – 4 p.m., Sunday, Oct. 18 at Lake Springfield Park, with some of the following free activities running continuously throughout the days:
- 4-H Outdoor Village: wildlife trivia; tree, leaf and fish identification; golf toss game; kids face painting, wildlife trivia;
- Wonders of Outdoor World: casting for kids; fishing classes and instruction by professionals; animal artifacts exhibit;
- Pre-1840’s James River Mountain Man Rendezvous: see life of the 1840’s recreated showing how man lived, hunted, ate, slept and survived the elements;
- Lake Front: pontoon boat rides every 30 minutes; trail tours at the top of each hour; 30-minute canoe and kayak opportunities (weather permitting);
- Park Board Outdoor Initiatives: Geocaching clinics.
Other activities include:
- Dogs Herding Ducks: ongoing;
- Greater Ozark Audubon Trail Tours: at the top of each hour;
- Missouri Wildlife Animal Exhibit: Noon – 4 p.m. on Saturday;
- Live Entertainment: Noon – 4 p.m., Saturday, “Lost Hill”; 12:30 – 3:30 p.m., Sunday, “SouthWynn”;
- Fishing Magician: ongoing, beginning at 1 p.m. each day.
Kids 12 years of age and younger can fill their “passport” by visiting stations to receive a prize at the end of their visit.
The Outdoor Fitness Festival is America’s most comprehensive outdoor fitness festival of its kind, and includes competitive and fun running/walking events, trail runs, canoe/kayak races, fitness and health fair, a corporate wellness conference, youth and kid’s activities, outdoor education classes, and celebrity appearances.
For more information, training schedules, or to register for any of the events, visit www.basspro.com/fitness.
For more information, media contact: Anne-Mary McGrath, Parks Special Events Administrator, 417-864-1338; or Martin MacDonald, Event Co-Chair, 417-873-5023.