For Immediate Release
H1N1 Vaccine Program Receives Third Shipment
A third shipment of H1N1 vaccine has been distributed to partners serving the initial priority group. The shipment contained –
- 1,500 doses of Live, Attenuated (nasal spray vaccine)
- health care workers at high risk of unexpected exposure to H1N1
- children age 2 through 18 with no chronic medical conditions
- 700 doses of inactivated injectable (shot) single-dose pre-filled syringes (Thimerosal free)
- pregnant women
- 2,200 doses of inactivated injectable (shot) multi-dose vials
- children age 36 months through 18 years old
- adults age 19 – 24
- adults 25 – 64 with chronic medical conditions
- household contacts and caregivers of infants 6 months or younger
“We anticipate weekly shipments will continue to arrive,” says assistant director of health Clay Goddard, “but information about when or how much vaccine we will receive has been coming at the last minute. We ask the public to be patient as we continue to work to get this vaccine out to them as safely and as efficiently as possible.”
So far nearly 3,000 doses of H1N1 vaccine have been administered in Greene County.
Flu cases continue to increase, as well, with 179 cases reported last week, up from 94 the week before. This leaves a total of 408 cases of flu since August 31, 2009, more than the total number of flu cases in Greene County during the 2008-2009 flu season. Most of those impacted in Greene County have been children age 5 – 14.
The public information call center will be open through Friday from 2:00 pm to 7:00 pm to answer H1N1 and seasonal flu questions. Please call 829-6200. Volunteers are needed to help field the hundreds of calls from the public. Those who are interested in volunteering should fill out an application at www.beacommunityhero.com.
For more information on how to protect against seasonal flu and H1N1, visit www.fightthefluMO.com or call the health department’s automated information line at 417-864-1166.
Media contact: Jaci McReynolds, Public Information Administrator, (417) 874-1205 office, (417) 830-9511 cell