For Immediate Release
National Ag Day Kicks Off Farm Park Events
The Rutledge-Wilson Farm Community Park, 3825 W. Farm Road 146, will kick off more than 30 special events/programs for the 2010 calendar year with the inaugural National Ag Day event from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Saturday, March 20.
The event will highlight American agriculture, including how necessities like food, fiber, clothing and energy originate and make their way to the consumer. Entry is free to the event. Some activities have small fees.
Ag Day Highlights include:
- Farmers Market Vendors selling items from bread to seeds and hand-made goods;
- Antique Gas Engine & Tractor Displays by the Early Day Gas Engine and Tractor Association;
- Pedal Tractors will be available for kids to pedal and pretend to be farmers;
- Agriculture Group Displays will offer information and services available in the Springfield area;
- Farm Tours include a tractor-pulled hayride throughout parts of the 207-acre property. Cost is $3 per rider; kids 4 years of age and younger are free. Tour times are 10:30 & 11 a.m., Noon, 1 & 2 p.m.;
- Wagon Rides include a horse-drawn carriage running continually throughout the property during the day. Cost is $3 per rider; kids 4 years of age and younger are free;
- Pony Rides are available from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. for $3 per rider;
- Pizza Booth participants will learn where pizza comes from through “pizza based” activities, then spin the wheel for a prize. Cost is $1.
For a complete listing of all 2010 Farm Park events, visit http://bit.ly/RWFarm10 or call 417-837-5949. Information for a number of other Farm Park programs and summer camps for youth is available at http://bit.ly/UGobz.
For more information, media contact: Amy Dooley, Farm Park Coordinator, 417-837-5944.