For Immediate Release
Heat Advisory Thru June 23
The National Weather Service has issued a heat advisory lasting until 7:00 p.m. Wednesday, June 23, 2010. The Springfield-Greene County Health Department urges residents to take steps to protect against heat-related illnesses.
Take precautions to protect against heat-related illness including:
- Drink plenty of water, even if you do not feel thirsty; avoid drinks that contain alcohol or caffeine.
- Avoid strenuous work or exercise outside during the hottest part of the day. Take frequent breaks and remember to drink plenty of water.
- Check on senior adults, young children and pets.
- Stay in an air-conditioned facility; If your home is not air conditioned, visit a shopping center, public library, community center, cooling center or other air-conditioned facility.
The following cooling centers are open in Springfield during normal business hours:
- American Red Cross, 1545 N West Bypass
- YMCA, 1901 E Republic Street
- YMCA, 417 S Jefferson
Wehrenberg Theatres also offers an additional way to stay cool. When the National Weather Service issues a 'Heat Advisory', Wehrenberg Theatres will offer lower prices for any movie starting before 4 pm. Visit Campbell 16 Cine at 4005 South Ave. for more information.
For more information, contact: Katie Towns-Jeter MPH, Public Information Administrator, 417-874-1205