For Immediate Release
Outdoor Fitness Festival Begins with "Outdoor Days"
The Springfield-Greene County Park Board will participate in the 4th Annual Bass Pro Shops Outdoor Fitness Festival with a number of free outdoor recreational activities, hands-on clinics, and demonstration booths, beginning this weekend, Sept. 10 – 12 with “Outdoor Days” at Lake Springfield Park, 2312 S. Kissick.
The Park Board and Bass Pro Shops will kick off the eight-week festival with a media challenge beginning at 10 a.m., Friday, Sept. 10. Teams of two from area print, television and radio will once again compete for top honors. Registration of teams will begin at 9:30 a.m., Friday. Contact Melissa Bondy at firstname.lastname@example.org or 417-891-5214 to register your team.
Visit www.basspro.com/fitness www.basspro.com/fitness for a full listing of events. Advance registration is required for some of the activities.
Outdoor Days This Weekend
Outdoor Days runs 9:30 a.m. – 4 p.m., Saturday, Sept. 11 & 11 a.m. – 3:30 p.m., Sunday, Sept. 12 at Lake Springfield Park, with just some of the following free activities running continuously throughout the two days:
- Overnight Camping: free camping Friday through 4 p.m., Sunday. Advance registration required by calling 417-833-8647. A variety of after-hours activities will take place for those participants;
- Pontoon Boat Rides: 20-minute rides leave the dock every hour on the half-hour;
- Guided Trail Hikes: 30-minute/half-mile walks leave every hour on the hour;
- Dogs Herding Ducks: every hour on the half-hour;
- Animal Encounters: Beginning at Noon, 30-minute presentation on the hour;
- 4-H Outdoor Village: tree, bird, leaf and fish identification;
- Wonders of Wildlife: casting for kids; animal track identification; archery and paintball;
- Bass Pro Shops: one-half acre of tents, camping gear and other equipment demonstrations by national sponsors;
- Off-Road Camping Club Village: 18,000-square foot village featuring 15 manufactures’ products;
- Cooking Demonstrations and Sampling: by The Lodge Corporation & MasterBuilt;
- Pre-1840’s James River Mountain Man Rendezvous: ongoing, see life of the 1840’s recreated showing how man lived, hunted, ate, slept and survived the elements;
- Park Board Outdoor Initiatives: Geocaching clinics; canoe/kayak clinics; and other activities;
- Live Entertainment: Noon – 3 p.m., Saturday, “Lost Hill”; Noon – 3 p.m., Sunday, “SouthWynn”;
A Canoe race will be held at 10 a.m. and a Kayak race at Noon, Saturday, for ages 11-adult, $25 entry fee. A team Geocaching event will kick off at 4 p.m., Sunday, for teams of two-to-four, $15 entry fee. Registration is required for both activities. Prizes will be awarded to top winners. Call 417-833-8647 for more information.
The Outdoor Fitness Festival is America’s most comprehensive outdoor fitness festival of its kind, and includes competitive and fun running/walking events, trail runs, canoe/kayak races, fitness and health fair, a corporate wellness conference, youth and kid’s activities, outdoor education classes, and celebrity appearances.
For more information, training schedules, or to register for any of the events, visit www.basspro.com/fitness .
For more information, media contact: Anne-Mary McGrath, Parks Special Events Administrator, 417-864-1338 and 417-353-3514; or Martin MacDonald, Event Co-Chair, 417-873-5023.