For Immediate Release
Filing Dates for 2011 City Council Elections Oct. 12-Nov. 23
The filing dates for the Regular Municipal General Election are October 12 to November 23, 2010 during regular office hours of the Springfield City Clerk. Applications and petitions for filing may be obtained from the City Clerk’s Office, beginning at 8 a.m. on Monday, Oct. 4, 2010. At that time, the information for filing will also be available online; however, the petitions must be obtained from the City Clerk’s office. The following seats are up for election:
- Mayor (O’Neal)
- General Seat C (Burlison)
- General Seat D (Chiles)
- Zone 2 (Rushefsky)
- Zone 3 (Compton)
Those wishing to file petitions must meet the following criteria:
- Qualified voter of the city;
- Resident of the city for at least two years immediately prior to their election;
- If filing for one of the Zone seats, must be a resident of their respective zone for at least one year prior to election.
To be valid, the petitions must meet the following criteria:
- Zone - 100 registered voters, who reside in the particular zone
- General - 200 registered voters, who reside within the city limits
If more than two candidates are certified for any of the positions, those names will appear on the ballot for the Primary Election to be held Feb. 8, 2011. The two candidates receiving the greatest number of votes for those offices will be on the ballot in the Regular Municipal General Election to be held April 5, 2011.
For more information, contact: Brenda Cirtin, City Clerk, (417) 864-1650.