For Immediate Release
Heat Extends Hours at Pools, Tennis Courts
While there are predictions of continued heat advisory days throughout the next two weeks, the Springfield-Greene County Park Board offers a number of ways to cool off seven days a week, with some additional pool hours, tennis court hours, and cooling centers.
There are six pools open Tuesday-Sunday:
- Grant Beach Pool
- Fassnight Pool
- Meador Pool
- Doling Pool
- McGee/McGregor Wading Pool
- Chesterfield Family Center Indoor Pool
Chesterfield Family Center Indoor Pool remains open seven days a week. Silver Springs and Westport Pools are open Thursday- Sunday. Both Silver Springs and Westport Pools are hosting group usage and rentals on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Please note that Silver Springs Pool will be closed on Sunday, August 7 for special Park Day event activities.
Additionally, the Ozarks Stream and Fountain at Jordan Valley Park, 735 E. Trafficway, runs 10 a.m. - 9:30 p.m. daily for 30 minutes at the beginning of each hour, and continuously from 11 a.m. - 1:30 p.m. each day. The water feature at Founders Park, 330 E. Water, is a hands and feet-only feature.
Heat Advisory Days-Special Pool Hours, Tennis Court Hours, and Cooling Centers
When the National Weather Service issues heat advisories for the Springfield metro area this summer, the Springfield-Greene County Park Board is offering the following each day the advisory is in effect:
- Tuesday-Sunday hours extended until 8 p.m. during heat advisory days: Grant Beach Pool, Meador Pool, Doling Pool, and Chesterfield Family Center Indoor Pool.
- Saturday & Sunday-only hours extended until 8 p.m. during heat advisory days: Fassnight Pool (Swimming lessons held on Tuesday-Friday.)
- Gillenwaters Tennis Complex, 3635 S. Jefferson Ave., will leave outdoor tennis courts lighted through 11 p.m., during heat advisory days;
- Perry Tennis Courts, at the corner of Bennett Street and National Avenue, will leave outdoor tennis courts lighted through 11 p.m., during heat advisory days.
- Cooling Centers: Citizens are welcome to visit the lobby areas of Chesterfield Family Center, 2511 W. Republic Road, Doling Family Center, 301 E. Talmage St., and Mediacom Ice Park, 635 E. Trafficway, during their normal business hours during heat advisory days.
A full list of park locations is available at www.parkboard.org. The main Park Board Office number is 417-864-1049.
For more information, media contact: Marc Baker, Aquatics Supervisor, 417-353-6446; or Bob Nelson, Public Information Administrator, 417-874-2176 or 417-839-2005.