For Immediate Release
Outdoor Days, Media Challenge Kick Off Outdoor Fitness Festival
The Springfield-Greene County Park Board will participate in the 5th Annual Bass Pro Shops Outdoor Fitness Festival with a number of free outdoor recreational activities, hands-on clinics, and demonstration booths, beginning this weekend, Sept. 9 – 11 with "Outdoor Days" at Lake Springfield Park, 2312 S. Kissick.
The Park Board and Bass Pro Shops will kick off the eight-week festival with a media challenge beginning at 10 a.m., Friday, Sept. 9. Teams of two from area print, television and radio will once again compete for top honors. Registration of teams will begin at 9:30 a.m., Friday. Contact Melissa Bondy at firstname.lastname@example.org or 417-891-5214 to register your team.
Visit www.basspro.com/fitness for a full listing of events. Advance registration is required for some of the activities.
Outdoor Days This Weekend
(Full Schedule at www.parkboard.org and directly at http://bit.ly/qwYVRG)
Outdoor Days runs 9:30 a.m. – 4 p.m., Saturday, Sept. 10; and 11 a.m. – 3:30 p.m., Sunday, Sept. 11 at Lake Springfield Park, with just some of the following free activities running continuously throughout the two days:
- Overnight Camping: free camping Friday through 4 p.m., Sunday. Advance registration required by calling 417-833-8647. A variety of after-hours activities will take place for those participants;
- Pontoon Boat Rides: 20-minute rides leave the dock every hour on the half-hour;
- Animal Encounters: Beginning at Noon, 30-minute presentation on the hour, inside the boathouse;
- Wonders of Wildlife: casting for kids; animal track identification; archery and paintball, tailgate games, bounce house and a monkey bridge;
- Missouri Department of Conservation: casting for kids and lakeside fishing;
- Bass Pro Shops: one-half acre of tents, camping gear and other equipment demonstrations by national sponsors;
- Off-Road Camping Club Village: 36,000-square foot village featuring 75 manufactures' products;
- Cooking Demonstrations and Sampling: by The Lodge Corporation;
- Pre-1840's James River Mountain Man Rendezvous: ongoing, see life of the 1840's recreated showing how man lived, hunted, ate, slept and survived the elements, over 20 different demonstration activities;
- Park Board Outdoor Initiatives: Canoe/kayak and paddleboard demonstrations and other activities;
A canoe race will be held at 10 a.m. (teams of two, ages 16-adult, $20 entry fee) and a kayak race at Noon, Saturday, (singles, ages 16-adult, $15 entry fee). Ozark Mountain Geocachers will be hosting a geocaching race on Saturday for teams of four people. Registration fee is $25 per team. Registration is required for both activities. Prizes will be awarded to top winners. Call 417-833-8647 for more information.
The Outdoor Fitness Festival is America's most comprehensive outdoor fitness festival of its kind. It celebrates health and wellness, outdoor adventures and wildlife conservation. Events include competitive and fun running/walking events, trail runs, canoe/kayak races, fitness and health fair, a corporate wellness conference, youth and kid's activities, outdoor education classes, and celebrity appearances.
For more information, training schedules, or to register for any of the events, visit www.basspro.com/fitness.
For more information, media contact: Anne-Mary McGrath, Parks Special Events Administrator, 417-864-1338 and 417-353-3514; or Martin MacDonald, Event Co-Chair, 417-873-5023.