For Immediate Release
Missouri's Largest Thanksgiving Run/Walk Now Registering
Registration is now open for the 17th Annual Thanksgiving Day Turkey Trot 5K Run/Walk, which begins at 8 a.m., Thursday, Nov. 24 from the Springfield Expo Center, 635 E. St. Louis St.
Event organizers are anticipating another record "flock" at this annual Thanksgiving Day event, which will be held rain, snow, or shine and routes itself through Springfield's Center City. In 2010, more than 7,100 runners participated in the event, making it the largest Thanksgiving Day run/walk in the state of Missouri and the largest annual one-day collection of non-perishable items for Ozarks Food Harvest.
- Time/Date: 8 a.m., Thursday, November 24
- Register online at www.active.com or www.parkboard.org
- $15/child and $20/adult - Registrations before November 18 (or postmarked 11/18/10)
- $20/child and $25/adult – Registrations postmarked/received after 5 p.m., November 18
- Race starts and ends at the Springfield Expo Center, 635 E. St. Louis St.
- Awards will be given to males and females finishing in the top three of each of 17 age divisions.
- All racers receive a long-sleeved race t-shirt.
All proceeds benefit Developmental Center of the Ozarks and the Springfield-Greene County Park Board Scholarship Fund. Participants are asked to bring three non-perishable food items for Ozarks Food Harvest–The Food Bank. For more event information, please call 417-837-5817.
About the Charities:
The Developmental Center of the Ozarks (DCO) serves infants, children, and adults who are developmentally disabled, developmentally delayed or physically disabled, as well as those who are not, through therapeutic, educational, habilitative and rehabilitative programs. DCO holds as its greatest responsibility to promote personal growth through teaching those skills necessary for all citizens of our community to lead full and productive lives.
The Springfield-Greene County Park Board Scholarship Fund is available for those who meet income guidelines and want to participate in a Park Board program. Year-round scholarships are limited and intended to assist those who could not otherwise pay for program fees. Call the Park Board offices for more information at 417-864-1049.
For more information, media contact: Maria Johnston with the Park Board, 417-837-5817; or Marisa DeClue with DCO, 417-829-0896.