For Immediate Release
Halloween Safety Tips
Halloween is fast approaching and with the arrival of October 31st comes the excitement of children running door to door for treats. The Springfield Police Department would like to provide the following tips to parents, motorists and children for this Halloween.
- Cross the street only at corners or marked crosswalks.
- Never cross the street between parked cars.
- If there is no sidewalk, walk facing traffic.
- Watch for cars backing or turning.
- Use reflector strips on costumes and carry flashlights for safety.
- Drive in an extra cautious manner.
- Keep a keen eye open for children who forget safety rules.
- Reduce speed in residential neighborhoods.
- Obey traffic signs and signals.
- Use caution turning into or backing out of driveways and entering or exiting alleys.
- Approach intersections with caution.
- Watch for children at crossings, medians and in the streets.
- Allow children to get out of the car only at curbside.
- Have your children trick or treat from family and friends.
- Check out all treats at home in a well lit place.
- Remind kids not to enter strange houses.
- Set a time limit for children to trick or treat and map a safe route.
The Springfield Police Department will also be handing out treats from its headquarters, located at 321 E. Chestnut Expressway starting tonight and continuing throughout Halloween.
Media Contact: Cpl. Matt Brown, phone: 417-864-1786
Release authorized by: Lt. Kirk Manlove