For Immediate Release
Process for Refilling Vacant Zone 1 Council Seat
Mayor Jim O'Neal has approved City Manager Greg Burris' proposed process and approximate timeline for refilling the vacant Zone 1 Council seat. This process is similar to the one Council followed after the resignation of Ralph Manley a few years ago. The process will be as follows:
- January 6 – Staff issues a media release to solicit applications for the Zone 1 vacancy. The release will outline the required qualifications and the timeline for the process. Applications will be due to the City Clerk by January 20. An online application form will be provided, but applications will also be available in hardcopy directly from the City Clerk’s Office. Applications must be submitted in person at the City Clerk’s Office during regular business hours by January 20 at 5:00 p.m. in order to sign an affidavit attesting to their qualifications.
- January 23 – The City Clerk’s Office will gather and copy/scan all applications and electronically distribute them to all City Council members by the end of the day.
- Late-January – The City Clerk’s Office will schedule a meeting of the full Council to occur in early February. This public meeting will be either a noon-1:00 p.m. or evening meeting, depending on schedules.
- Early-February Meeting – City Council will collectively discuss the applications (received in advance) and attempt to narrow the field of applicants to 4-6 finalists for in-person interviews.
- The City Clerk’s Office will schedule a mid-February “finalist interview” meeting. We will avoid the February 14-15 Missouri Municipal League Conference. This public meeting will likely be scheduled to occur in the evening.
- Mid-February Meeting – City Council will host a series of “interviews” with the finalists in a public meeting. Each finalist will be given up to ten minutes to describe their qualifications for the position and the rationale as to why they feel they should be selected.
- Shortly thereafter, Council will meet to discuss the finalists (based on their written application and in-person interview) and select an individual to fulfill the remaining Zone 1 term through April 2013. (In April 2013, the position will be filled via a general city election.)
- The selected individual will be sworn into office and will be eligible to attend the next City Council meeting as the Zone 1 City Council representative.
For more information, contact: Greg Burris, City Manager, (417) 864-1006; or Brenda Cirtin, City Clerk, (417) 864-1650.