For Immediate Release
Health Department Launches New Website
The Springfield-Greene County Health Department has launched a newly updated website. The site can be found at health.springfieldmo.gov.
The website includes a number of new or revamped features that citizens and partners may find useful. These include:
- A mobile version of the site fully compatible with iPhone, Android, Blackberry and other mobile devices. The same URL will take users to the mobile site on those devices.
- A photo gallery, updated daily, of animals that are currently housed in the City animal shelter. These animals are held for a minimum of five days to allow for owners to claim them, at which point they then become available for rescue agencies to claim. Each photo contains information such as breed, estimated age, weight, and when and where the animal was found. The gallery is a great tool not only for citizens, but also for the 17 partner rescue agencies that monitor the shelter for potentially adoptable dogs and cats. These partners have helped drastically reduce the euthanasia rate and boost the effective claim rate at the shelter over the last few years.
- An online service request page for citizens to log complaints about food establishments, mosquitoes, rodents, needles found on public property, hotels, motels, pools and animal control issues.
- Online payment capabilities for food establishments and vaccinations. Food establishments can renew their permit by paying the fees online. Citizens, international travelers, food establishment employees and others can pre-pay for eight types of vaccinations.
- Volunteer opportunities are outlined on the site's Community Heroes pages. Community Heroes is a public health volunteer initiative, which strives to engage the community in healthy behaviors. Volunteer opportunities with other partner agencies are listed as well.
Other features include an extensive list of FAQs, a directory of health department staff, and a directory of outside resources and partner agencies. These join other existing features from the department's previous site such as a restaurant inspections database and a dashboard page that tracks a wide variety of statistics monitored by the department.
For more information, contact: Mike Brothers, Public Information Administrator, Office: (417) 874-1205 Cell: (417) 894-9064