For Immediate Release
City Council Application Filing Begins Dec. 4
Due to the elimination of the February primary, the filing dates for the general municipal election are now Dec 4, 2012 – Jan. 15, 2013. Regular office hours of the Springfield City Clerk are 8 a.m. – 5 p.m., Monday – Friday.
Due to the lateness of the filing period, the City Clerk is making the application packets available much earlier than would normally be the case. "Hopefully, this will allow for the gathering of the requisite number of signatures before the weather becomes a factor," says Brenda Cirtin, City Clerk.
Applications and petitions for filing may be obtained from the City Clerk's office, beginning at 8 a.m. on Wednesday, Oct. 24, 2012. At that time, the information for filing will also be available online; however, the petitions must be obtained from the City Clerk's office. The following seats are up for election:
- Mayor (Stephens)
- General Seat A (Fisk)
- General Seat B (Rush)
- Zone 1 (Seifried)
- Zone 4 (Bailes)
Those wishing to file petitions must meet the following criteria:
- Qualified voter of the city;
- Resident of the city for at least two years immediately prior to their election; and
- Additionally, if filing for one of the Zone seats, must be a resident of their respective zone for at least one year prior to election.
To be valid, the petitions must meet the following criteria:
- Zone - 100 registered voters, who reside in the particular zone
- General - 200 registered voters, who reside within the city limits
The General Municipal Election is Tuesday, April 2, 2013.
For more information, contact: Brenda Cirtin, City Clerk (864-1650)