For Immediate Release
Parks' Celebration of Season Begins This Weekend
The Springfield-Greene County Park Board gets into the holiday spirit in December with a variety of events and opportunities, starting this weekend.
- PGA Midwest Section Annual Golf Sale
- This weekend, Rivercut, Horton Smith and Bill & Payne Stewart golf courses team up with area courses for an annual sale. Save on top golf merchandise. One weekend only at 228 W. Sunshine, atCampbell, across from Bass Pro Shops. Fri., Nov. 30 and Sat., Dec. 1 9 a.m. ¿ 7 p.m. and Sun. Dec. 2, 9 a.m. ¿ 2 p.m. 417-833-9962 or 417-891-1645.
- Christmas at the Farm
- This Saturday and Sunday at Rutledge-Wilson Farm Park, 3825 W. Farm Road 146. Make your own fresh evergreen wreath, warm up with some cocoa, listen to a Christmas story with Rudolph and visit with Santa. Christmas crafts and visits with farm animals make this a treat for all ages. Bring your camera. Sat., Dec. 1 and Sun., Dec. 2, 12-4 p.m. Admission is free, some activities have a fee. 417-837-5949.
- Christmas Tree Sale
- Now open at Rutledge-Wilson Farm Park, 3825 W. Farm Road 146. Choose from a selection of fresh Frasier Firs, 6 to 9 feet in height. Available as supplies last Tuesdays – Fridays and Sundays, 9 a.m.- 5 p.m., Saturdays 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. $40 to $70. 417-837-5949.
- Candy Cane Lane
- Enjoy a free drive-through light display at Rutledge-Wilson Farm Park, 3825 W. Farm Road 146. Open every Saturday, dusk to 7 p.m., through Dec. 22. 417-837-5949.
- Free Ice Skating
- In conjunction with downtown Springfield's Festival of Lights, Mediacom Ice Park offers free ice skating at 635 E. Trafficway. Skate rental is $2.50. Sat., Dec. 8, 3-4 p.m.; Sat. Dec. 15, 5:30 – 6:30 p.m., Tuesday, Dec. 25, 5-6 p.m. 417-866-7444.
- Wreath-making workshop
- This Saturday at the Springfield-Greene County Botanical Center, 2400 S. Scenic Ave. Make your own holiday wreath with greenery, berries, dried flowers, fruits, cones and pods from the nearby gardens in Nathanael Greene/Close Memorial Park. For anyone age 10 and up. Sat., Dec. 1, 10 a.m. – 12 p.m. $25 includes all materials. 417-891-1515.
- Holiday Train Garden Display
- The magic of miniature landscapes and moving model trains transforms the Botanical Center atrium into a holiday wonderland. Presented by the Ozarks Garden Railway Society at the Springfield-Greene County Botanical Center, 2400 S. Scenic Ave. Dec. 1- 31, open Monday–Saturday, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. and Sundays, 11.a.m. to 6 p.m. Free. Donation accepted. 417-891-1515.
- Santa and Friends
- Far from the malls, enjoy the subtle winter landscape and holiday exhibits at the Springfield-Greene County Botanical Center, 2400 S. Scenic Ave. Visit with Santa, see the holiday train garden display and enjoy other kids activities. Sun, Dec. 16, noon to 4 p.m. Admission is free, some activities have a fee. 417-891-1515.
- "The Dickensian Christmas" Tablescapes with Peter Longley
- Entertain with high style and fashion as you learn to dress your table for all occasions. "The Goose Hangs High," with demonstrations, fun themes and decorating ideas, stories and refreshments presented by Parks Horticultural Interpreter, Peter Longley. Fri., Dec. 14, 6 p.m. $8. Pre-registration required. 417-891-1515.
- Little Critters Holiday Natures Crafts & Games
- Make a holiday nature craft and play games at the Watershed Center at Valley Water Mill Park, 2300 E. Valley Water Mill Road. Participants take home a packet. For kids ages 3-6 with an adult. Pre-registration required. Sat. Dec. 15, 10-11:30 a.m. $5/child, $3 per child for three kids or more. 417-833-8647.
- First Night Springfield
- Ring in the New Year at First Night Springfield 2013, a family-friendly New Year's Eve celebration in downtown Springfield. This year features more than 20 performances and activities at 10 venues, including Mediacom Ice Park, and a midnight fireworks finale in Jordan Valley Park. Presented by the Springfield Regional Arts Council. Mon. Dec. 31, 5:30 p.m – midnight. Tickets $8/each or $30/family 4-pack in advance, $10/each or $35/family 4-pack at the event. Children 3 and under free. Details at firstnightspringfield.org. 417-862-2787
For more information on these events, call the number listed.
For media inquiries, contact: Jenny Fillmer Edwards, Public Information Administrator for the Springfield-Greene County Park Board, at 471-874-2176 or 417-224-5510.