For Immediate Release
View Arbor Day Poster Entries at Pool Art Center Gallery
Springfield Public School fifth graders are learning about the importance of trees, thanks to an annual contest sponsored by The City of Springfield, Tree City USA Committee, City Utilities and the Missouri Community Forestry Council (MCFC).
Nine schools and 327 students participated in this years' Missouri Arbor Day Poster Contest. Judging of the citywide contest took place on Tuesday, Nov. 20, 2012 at Drury's Pool Art Center Gallery.
The poster display is open for public viewing Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. - 5 p.m., through Dec. 14, 2012. The display is located on the first floor and can be accessed from both the north and west doors. The Pool Art Center Gallery is located at 940 North Clay Street just east of Harrison Stadium.
Each participating school will have one poster selected. Those posters will be sent to a state contest, with the statewide winner determined in March at the MCFC State Conference.
Locally, event sponsors select first, second and third place posters from the winning posters from each school to determine the citywide winners. Each participating school will have a tree planted in the winning teacher and students' honor in December. Then during the month of April, Arbor Month, a planting ceremony will be held at each school.
The theme for this year's contest is:
"I Like Trees Because They Keep Our Water Clean And Healthy"
The posters are judged based upon the following requirements:
- Make the theme "I Like Trees Because They Keep Our Water Clean And Healthy" stand out and easy to read from a distance.
- Make sure the spelling is correct - misspelled words are not acceptable and the poster will be disqualified.
- The message delivered in the picture must reflect the theme and educational exercises.
- Keep the poster bold and colorful in design. Color drawings stand out better than pencil drawings.
- The student must sign their poster in the lower right corner.
For more information on the Springfield 5th Grade Arbor Day Poster Contest and Springfield Arbor Day Celebration, please call the Springfield Public Works Urban Forestry Office at (417) 864-1135.
For more information on this news release, contact: Casey Jo Kellner, Public Works Urban Forester, at (417) 864-1135.