For Immediate Release
Tips for Christmas Tree Recycling
Springfield residents are reminded that Christmas trees are not accepted at Missouri landfills; however, several options are available for recycling this year’s Christmas trees.
Bass Pro will accept trees at the fenced area at the northwest end of the Bass Pro Shops Outdoor World parking lot directly behind the store at 1935 S. Campbell Ave.
- Dates accepted: Dec. 26-Jan. 1, 2013
- Hours: Noon to 6pm daily
- Fee: $2 or more per tree donation; benefitting the Boy Scouts
- Uses: Trees are used for fish habitat
- Special Instructions: Remove all icicles, ornaments, tree stand and no flocked trees accepted.
For more information, contact: Larry Whiteley, 873-5022.
Wickman’s will accept trees at 1345 S. Fort Ave., in Springfield and at 10791 U.S. 60 in Monett.
- Dates accepted: Dec. 26-Jan. 13, 2013
- Hours: (Springfield) Monday-Friday 8am-6pm; Saturday; 8am-5pm; Sunday 10am-5pm
(Monett) Monday-Friday 8:30am-5:30pm; Saturday 8:30am-5pm; Sunday 12pm-5pm
- Fee: $5 per tree at both locations; proceeds donated to The Kitchen
- Uses: Trees will be ground into wood chip mulch, which is available for free. Bring your own container.
- Special instructions: Remove all icicles, ornaments, tree stand and no flocked trees accepted.
For more information, contact: 862-3707 (Springfield); or 235-1112 (Monett) or visit: www.wickmans.com
City of Springfield Yardwaste Recycling Center
The Yardwaste Recycling Center will accept Christmas trees year round.
- Directions: West on Sunshine (U.S. 60); south of Farm Road 115. Turn left on Farm Road 164. Follow signs to Yardwaste Recycling Center.
- Dates accepted: Year round. The Center will be closed on Dec. 25 and Jan. 1.
- Hours: 8am-5pm, Tuesday-Saturday; closed Sundays and Mondays.
- Fees: Donations are accepted; the brush recycling fee of $3 will be waived for residential Christmas trees through Jan. 26, 2013; otherwise, the $3 gate fee will apply. Existing commercial fees will apply to commercial loads, including Christmas trees.
- Special instructions: Remove all icicles, ornaments and tree stand.
- Note: Trees are not accepted at the Franklin and Lone Pine recycling centers.
For more information, contact: Recycling Hotline, 864-1904; or visit: www.springfieldmo.gov/recycling.
For more information, contact: Barbara J. Lucks, Sustainability Officer, Sustainability Division,Department of Environmental Services, 864-2005.