For Immediate Release
City Celebrates April as Earth Month, Arbor Month
Once a year on Earth Day, April 22, the world celebrates the birth of the modern environmental movement.
The City of Springfield takes this celebration to the next level, reaffirming its commitment to sustainability and a healthier planet with a month-long series of events and activities, which include:
- First Friday with Friends Arbor Day Talk & Walk, 10 a.m., April 5, Botanical Center Atrium
- Alpha Gardens-Growing a Garden in the Ozarks, 6 p.m., April 5, Botanical Center
- Lake Springfield Clean-up, 9 a.m.-1 p.m., April 6. Check-in at Southwood access off Evans Road.
- Native Plant Sale, April 6 at Springfield Conservation Nature Center.
- Potting Shed University: Miniature Wetlands, 6:30 p.m., April 8, Botanical Center Workshop. Cost is $5.
- South Creek Clean-up, 9 a.m.-noon April 13, McDaniel Park (corner of National and Sunset).
- Potting Shed University: Perennials, 6:30 p.m. April 15, Botanical Center Workshop. Cost is $5.
- 13th Annual Springfield- Greene County Choose Environmental Excellence Awards Luncheon, April 19, Springfield Area Chamber of Commerce.
- Discovery Center Free Day, 9 a.m. to 6 pm. April 20.
- Potting Shed University: Eliminate Invasive Plants, 6:30 p.m., April 22, Botanical Center Workshop. Cost is $5.
- Arbor Day, April 26. City ceremonies include a number of tree plantings at local schools throughout the month.
- Master Gardener Plant Sale, 8 a.m., April 27, Botanical Center.
- Party for the Planet at Dickerson Park Zoo, 10 a.m.-2 p.m., April 27.
- Potting Shed University: Learn to Identify Common Garden Insects, 6:30 p.m., April 29, Botanical Center Workshop. Cost is $5.
- Parks will host Outdoor Initiatives events throughout the month of April. Activities include Nature Hike, Dutch Oven Cookery Clinics and Geocaching April 20 at Ritter Springs; Cold Weather Canoeing Clinic at Lake Springfield, Giboney Cave Tours at Doling Park and Ha Tonka State Park Day Hike all on April 21; Ritter Springs Campout April 26-28; and a second Geocaching event at Ritter Springs on April 27. For more information on Outdoor Initiatives, please visit parkboard.org/info/outdoor/index.htm.
- Clean Air Week, the last week of April.
- Adopt an Urban Garden and Adult Gardening Classes, ongoing at Rutledge-Wilson
For a complete listing of events, visit ozarksenvironment.com.
For more information, contact Barbara Lucks, City of Springfield Sustainability Officer, at 864-2005 or email@example.com.