July 26, 2013

News Release

For Immediate Release

Suspect receives multiple charges for two incidents

At approximately 9:16 p.m. on July 24, officers were dispatched to the area of Elm and South in reference to an assault where shots were fired. Officers arrived on scene and spoke with witnesses in the area. One witness advised officers they had been standing on their front porch when a male with dreadlocks came running westbound in the 500 block of W. Mt. Vernon and fired three shots down the street.

A male contacted officers and stated that he knew who fired the shots because he was being shot at during the incident. He stated the suspect was "Kenny," and they lived together in the past but had a falling out. This male said Kenny had been threatening to kill him ever since. The male told officers he was downtown on the square when he saw Kenny, and he called his girlfriend to pick him up. They left the downtown area and noticed they were traveling behind a dark Chevrolet Malibu. The male and his girlfriend made some turns toward her house and then noticed the same Malibu they were behind before was again in front of them going northbound on Main. The male said he saw Kenny leaning his body out of the passenger side of the Malibu, and five shots were fired by him. The male said he heard a round ricochet off the hood of his girlfriend's vehicle which they were traveling in.

An officer later located the suspect vehicle, a 2012 Chevrolet Malibu, at 920 S. Campbell, but it was unoccupied.

At approximately 12:35 p.m. on July 25, officers were dispatched to the area of 608 W. Mt. Vernon in reference to shots fired. Officers arrived and located a male who appeared to have been shot three times. The victim told officers he was working on a vehicle just south of his residence in the driveway. He heard a noise and looked back toward the fence and recognized Kenny, the same suspect mentioned in the earlier incident, with a gun in his possession. The victim turned to run and picked up his two daughters, ages three and five, who were near him when he was shot. The victim provided suspect information to officers.

Officers located three spent Remington .22 caliber shell casings in the backyard of 619 W. Harrison, which is directly south of the victim's residence at 608 W. Mt. Vernon. Officers also located seven bullet holes on the south end of that residence.

Witnesses advised officers that two black males were seen running eastbound from the area after the shots were fired. A witness advised that the suspects lived at 424 W. Mt. Vernon in an apartment. Officers responded to that area and contacted individuals inside the apartment by phone. Three individuals exited the residence and contacted the officers. One of these individuals was identified as Kenneth A. Stewart, and he matched the suspect description provided by the victim.

Written consent for a search was obtained from the tenant who lived in the apartment that the individuals exited. A Ruger Mark II .22 caliber pistol was found in an air conditioning register in the kitchen along with a large bag of .22 caliber bullets and a loaded magazine with ten rounds of .22 caliber ammunition. Stewart and another male from the apartment were arrested for 1st degree assault.

During an interview, Stewart admitted to police that he went to the 608 W. Mt. Vernon residence and shot at a male with children present during the shooting. He told police he was in the back yard when he fired the shots, then ran back to the apartment with another male and hid the pistol, which he used to shoot the victim, in the air conditioning register. Stewart said that he and those living at the victim's residence have been having ongoing problems.

Also during the interview with police, Stewart confirmed that he has had problems with the victim of the July 24 incident. Stewart told police that he was being followed by that victim that night while riding in the Chevrolet Malibu with two other males. Stewart stated that the victim shot a gun while following him, but possibly in the air to scare Stewart. Stewart then admitted to shooting back towards the victim's vehicle with his Ruger .22 caliber pistol so they would stop following him.

The cases were presented to the Greene County Prosecutor's Office and four counts of armed criminal action, one count of discharging a firearm, one count of 1st degree assault, and two counts of endangering the welfare of a child in the first degree were filed against Kenneth A. Stewart, 18, with a bond of $150,000. The charges announced herein are merely an accusation and Kenneth A. Stewart is presumed innocent until and unless proven guilty.

SPD Case #13-30697, #13-30769
Media Contact: Lisa Cox, Public Affairs Officer
O: 864-1786 | C: 839-5301
Release authorized by: Major Jim McCulloch

springfield police department

Springfield Police Department

Headquarters: 321 E. Chestnut Expy., Springfield, MO 65802
South District Station: 2620 W. Battlefield Rd., Springfield, MO 65807
417-864-1810 • springfieldmo.gov/spd