For Immediate Release
Nine to graduate from SPD's Cadet Academy
Nine members of the Springfield Police Department's Cadet Academy will graduate from the 11-week program with a total of 77 hours of curriculum. The ceremony will be held at 6 p.m. on Oct. 22 at the Springfield Regional Police and Fire Training Center.
The Cadet Academy covers a variety of topics which include:
- Ethics and professionalism
- Communication skills
- Community service
- Cultural diversity
- Physical training
- Defensive tactics, concepts and tools
- Police patrol functions to include traffic stops, DWI and crash scene investigations
- Criminal investigations: fingerprinting, crimes against persons and crimes against property
- Specialized units within the department: Special Response Team (SRT), Narcotics Enforcement Team (NET) and Special Investigations Unit (SIU)
Graduates will proceed to volunteer with the department by washing patrol cars and assisting with charity and community events and DWI checkpoints. Those ages 16-20 can find more information or apply for the program by visiting the Cadet Program webpage.
Media are invited to attend the ceremony.
Media Contact: Lisa Cox, Public Affairs Officer
O: 864-1786 | C: 839-5301