Building Development Services
Due to the growing concern of COVID-19, Building Development Services is offering a temporary alternative method for obtaining permits.
Permits can now be requested via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the following information:
- Address and/or project number if a project already exists.
- Type of permit being requested ( i.e. plumbing, gas, mechanical, building, electrical, Fire Suppression)
- Detailed description of work specific to the permit.
- Trade Master’s name and email address (if applicable)
- Contractor Company Name.
- Contact phone number for follow up information and payment.
***DO NOT INCLUDE CREDIT CARD INFORMATION WITHIN THIS EMAIL REQUEST***
All requests will be handled on a first-in, first-out basis. A permitting representative will contact you during the processing of your permit. Any further information will be obtained at that time, along with payment information. Credit cards are the only accepted method of payment.
Building Development Services personnel is still available to assist in person during regular business hours, if needed. You may contact us at 864-1585 with further questions.
As always, permits and inspections can be requested via eCity at https://ecity.springfieldmo.gov. Building Development Services thanks you for your patience and we will make every concerted effort to meet your needs efficiently.
Sewer, excavation, driveway, encroachment and sidewalk permits
Latest news on code updates
• The 2018 International Property Maintenance Code was adopted at the Feb. 24 City Council meeting. It goes into effect May 26.
• The below codes went into effect Feb. 9.
- 2018 International Building Code
- 2018 International Plumbing Code
- 2018 International Fuel Gas Code
- 2018 International Private Sewage Disposal Code
- 2018 International Mechanical Code
- 2018 International Existing Building Code
- 2018 International Swimming Pool and Spa Code
- 2012 International Energy Conservation Code
- 2017 National Electrical Code
- Administration and Enforcement of Codes, known as the Land Development Code
• The 2018 International Residential Code went into effect Jan. 10, 2020.
• The Building Trades, Appeals and Licensing Ordinance went into effect Nov. 19, 2019.
Delay on new permits
To improve efficiency and process of residential application, issuance of new permits will be administratively delayed for a period of 72 hours to allow for review and approval by other City departments.
The Department of Building Development Services implements and monitors a variety of city, state, and federal codes, and four trades (electrical, plumbing, gas and mechanical). It also offers essential information for businesses, homeowners, landlords, tenants, contractors, and developers.
Our services include:
- Issuing permits for all phases of building construction
- Implements building codes
- Implements zoning
- Monitors demolition and movement of existing buildings
- Monitors and issues permits for temporary (PDF) and permanent sign (PDF)
- Certifies trade crafts (PDF) (electricians, plumbers, gas, and mechanical licenses)
- Maintains minimum parking ratios
- Implements floodplain ordinances
- Inspects for buffer yards and tree planting in commercial areas
- Implements Dangerous Building Code
- Apply Online for: Pre-Development review and Commercial Projects, Residential Projects, Trade Permits, Public Improvements, Planning Applications, Driveway Projects, Excavation Projects, Wrecking Permits and more!
- View Dashboard of your project and permits
- Receive Project/Permit Status email Notifications
- Add Applicants/Contractors to your Permits
- Pay Online
- Print your own Permits
- Requests Inspections Online
- View Inspection Results in Real Time
- Current ePlans Submittal and Review Process stays the same
- View ePlans Review Comments in ecity
- Use Lookup Record to find any permits or projects
Fast Facts About the Department
The Department of Building Development Services:
- Employs over 30 people
- Has an annual budget of about $2 million, or 2% of the general fund budget
- Serves the building and development needs of the community in an expeditious manner
- Polices public right-of-way along streets and roads removing illegal signs
- Gives tests and awards certificates to electricians, plumbers, gas fitters, and mechanical craftsmen for a license to operate in Springfield