Building Development Services
City of Springfield’s Rental Property Registry discontinued
The City of Springfield began a Rental Property Registry in late 2017. The purpose of the program was to ensure accurate ownership information for use during code enforcement efforts.
The City addresses tens of thousands of our community’s properties and ensuring that each address is quickly updated with each change of ownership or changes in ownership/rental use is challenging.
Fortunately, the City’s Building Development Services staff discovered a product by LexisNexis (a national provider of legal applications) that allows quick, accurate and online access to current ownership of Springfield properties. This online application has proven to be far more effective at ensuring accurate address information than the labor-intensive RPR program, so we discontinued the RPR. We have successfully been using the LexisNexis product for the last couple of years.
The City appreciates the attention our property owners have paid to this issue.
Building Development Services is now open to the public. Visit our Permit Desk from 7:30 AM to 4:30 PM, M-F, at the Busch Building for assistance.
ALL applications can be done on eCity, in person, or mailed in.
Mail: City of Springfield Attn: BDS, 840 Boonville Ave., Springfield, MO 65802
Sewer, excavation, driveway, encroachment and sidewalk permits
The Department of Building Development Services implements and monitors a variety of city, state, and federal codes, and four trades (electrical, plumbing, gas and mechanical). It also offers essential information for businesses, homeowners, landlords, tenants, contractors, and developers.
Our services include:
- Issuing permits for all phases of building construction
- Implements building codes
- Implements zoning
- Monitors demolition and movement of existing buildings
- Monitors and issues permits for temporary (PDF) and permanent sign (PDF)
- Certifies trade crafts (PDF) (electricians, plumbers, gas, and mechanical licenses)
- Maintains minimum parking ratios
- Implements floodplain ordinances
- Inspects for buffer yards and tree planting in commercial areas
- Implements Dangerous Building Code
- Apply Online for: Pre-Development review and Commercial Projects, Residential Projects, Trade Permits, Public Improvements, Planning Applications, Driveway Projects, Excavation Projects, Wrecking Permits and more!
- View Dashboard of your project and permits
- Receive Project/Permit Status email Notifications
- Add Applicants/Contractors to your Permits
- Pay Online
- Print your own Permits
- Requests Inspections Online
- View Inspection Results in Real Time
- Current ePlans Submittal and Review Process stays the same
- View ePlans Review Comments in ecity
- Use Lookup Record to find any permits or projects
Fast Facts About the Department
The Department of Building Development Services:
- Employs over 35 people
- Has an annual budget of about $5 million, or 5% of the general fund budget
- Serves the building and development needs of the community in an expeditious manner
- Gives tests and awards certificates to electricians, plumbers, gas fitters, and mechanical craftsmen for a license to operate in Springfield