Building Permits & Codes

Building Codes

Springfield has adopted the International Building Code 2018 and International Model Codes 2018. The only non-2018 edition is the National Electric Code 2017.  To view adoptive ordinances and amendments to the codes visit 2018 Adoptive Code Ordinances.

The Basics

For most building-related projects inside City limits, permits are required. This includes new construction, remodeling, upgrades and improvements to not only the structural part of a building, but also the mechanical systems.

Note: If the legal notice of a violation has been sent, under the dangerous building ordinance, permits will be required to complete the work regardless of the type of work being done.


A Building Permit is required to construct, enlarge, alter, move or demolish a structure; or change the occupancy of a building or structure requiring greater strength, exit or sanitary provisions; or to change to another use; or to install or alter any equipment for which provision is made or the installation of which is regulated by the Building Code.


An Electrical Permit is required to do all electrical work except the replacement of lamps, the connection of portable appliances to suitable, permanently installed receptacles, or for the replacement of over-current protective devices which have become defective or inoperative.


A Gas Permit is required to do all gas work except for portable heating appliances, connecting or replacement of residential gas-fired appliances other than gas hot water heaters, furnaces or gas logs. 


A Mechanical Permit is required to do all mechanical work except portable heating, ventilating and cooling equipment; any steam, hot or chilled water piping within any heating or cooling equipment regulated by the Mechanical Code; replacement or any minor part which does not alter approval of equipment or make it unsafe; any self-contained refrigeration system containing 10 lbs. or less of refrigerant, or actuated by motors of 1 horsepower or less.


A Plumbing Permit is required to do all plumbing work except for repairs which involve only the working parts of a faucet or valve, clearance of stoppages, or repairing or replacement of defective faucets or valves, provided alterations are not made in the existing piping or fixture.


All sprinkler work, underground or within a building shall be permitted under an “FIS” permit only.

Permits will no longer be issued based on the building permit submittals unless the entire system (underground and building) including the calculations are included as a part of the building permit submittals.

For detailed information on sprinkler permits, please read Administrative Ruling 2007-01.

Permit Resources