It's that time of year again when summer draws to a close and area schools open their doors for another school year.
By following these safety tips we can help make this back to school season a happy and safe experience for everyone.
School Bus Safety Tips
- Children riding the bus to school should learn and practice a few safety rules for getting on and off the bus.
- Get to the bus stop early. Do not run to the bus.
- Make sure your child stays out of the street and avoids excessive horseplay while waiting for the school bus.
- Wait until the bus has come to a complete stop before walking toward it.
- If crossing the street, wait for a signal from the bus driver. Look both ways to make sure there is no moving traffic from either direction.
- Always cross in front of the bus so the driver can see you.
- If the bus has lap and shoulder belts, use them.
- Once the bus is in motion, remain in your seat.
- Keep your arms and head inside the bus at all times.
- Do not shout or distract the driver
- Only get off the bus at your assigned spot.
- Children should only walk to school alone if they are old enough and ready to make the walk safely.
- Children are not ready to walk to school without an adult until they are at least 10 years old.
- Teach children to obey all traffic signals, signs, traffic officers, and crossing guards, whether they are walking, biking or riding a bus
- Younger kids cannot be trusted to make smart traffic choices on their own.
- Plan and practice a safe walking route with your child until he/she knows it well.
- Use streets with sidewalks, crosswalks and crossing guards. Avoid as many intersections as possible.
- Have children walk with a friend or in a group.
- Talk to your child about what to do if they are approached by a stranger.
- Teach children to walk confidently and to be alert to their surroundings
- Be sure children know their address, phone number for their parents.
Safety Tips for Drivers
- Drivers should be aware of children walking to school or to the bus stop.
- ALWAYS stop of school busses that are loading and unloading children
- NEVER pass other vehicles while driving in a school zone
- When backing out of the driveway, watch for children walking to school or to a bus stop.
- On streets without crossing guards, watch out for children trying to cross the street.