Best Management Practices
BMP Manual for Land Disturbance Activity
Best Management Practices (BMPs) are designed to prevent erosion and contain or filter pollutants that would otherwise be carried by stormwater off of the construction site and enter into our local streams. These pollutants can include sediment, construction chemicals, and trash.
City of Springfield BMP Manual [Updated 2015] (PDF)
We are currently in the process of updating our BMP Manual. The following details are our most up to date versions. Updated details will be posted as they are completed.
- Concrete Washout (PDF)
- Construction Exit - Rock Only (PDF)
- Construction Exit with Rumble Strip (PDF)
- Basin Outfall (PDF)
- Curb Inlet Filter Bag (PDF)
- Grate Inlet Filter (PDF)
- Sumped Curb Inlet Filter (PDF)
- Lined Masonry Area (PDF)
- Flared End Rock Check Filter (PDF)
- Sock Ditch Check (PDF)
- Rock Check Dam (PDF)
- AutoCAD BMP Detail Library (.DWG)
Reference Manuals and Websites
The following manuals and websites are provided as additional guidance. Not all of the following details provided may work for our geographic region. Please modify details to fit your site as necessary.
When using these references, details need to be modified to site conditions. Dimensions and quantities with details must be included on the erosion sediment control detail drawings.
- MoDOT Standard Plans for Highway Construction Files (refer to 800 Series Standard)
- Washington State Department of Ecology BMP Standards and Specifications
- EPA’s National Menu of BMPs (refer to "Construction Site Stormwater Runoff Control")
- Association of Illinois Soil and Water Conservation Districts Urban Manual Standard Drawings