City Manager's Office
Springfield's 12th (since the City Charter was enacted in 1953) and current City Manager is Greg Burris. He has served the City of Springfield since September 15, 2008.
Burris came to the City from Missouri State University, where he worked for 25 years and most recently served as vice president for administrative and information services.
Burris holds a master’s degree in business administration and a bachelor’s degree in computer information systems from Missouri State University.
Greg and his wife, Betsy, live in Springfield. Their daughter, Tori, attends University of Tulsa.
Duties of the City Manager include
- appointment and, when needed, removal of employees either directly or through department heads
- preparation of the annual budget for approval by City Council
- administration of the approved annual budget
- regular reports to City Council about finances and administrative activities, as well as ongoing advice to Council about the City's present and future financial status or needs
- attendance at all City Council meetings and many of its committee meetings enforcement of all laws, ordinances, contracts, etc.