Animal Control


Within the city limits, the Springfield-Greene County Animal Control secures dogs on the loose, contains aggressive dogs, investigates animal bites, rabies and chicken complaints. Animal Control also picks up injured dogs, cats and wildlife. 

In the county, Animal Control contains aggressive and/or vicious dogs and respond to reports of dog bites. Injured dogs and cats are also picked up in the county as well as assisting Greene County Officers in investigations and emergencies.

For emergency situations, call 911.

For less serious complaints or for questions regarding pit bull registration or stray animals, submit an online request.


Phone: 417-833-3592
We often have a high call volume. If you don't get through, please call again!

The shelter is closed on weekends and major holidays.

  • Monday: 1:00-4:30 pm
  • Tuesday: 1:00-4:30 pm
  • Wednesday: 9:00 am-12:30 pm
  • Thursday: 1:00-4:30 pm
  • Friday: 1:00-4:30 pm

Location: 4002 N Farmer, Springfield MO 65803

Frequently asked questions

How do I register my pit bull?
How do I renew my pit bull registration?
How do I foster or adopt a pet from the shelter?
How do I report a lost pet?
What do animal control citations cost?

Animal control citations are filed with municipal court. Contact the court at 417-864-1890 for more information about citations and related fines.

Does the Animal Shelter charge any fees?

Yes, the Animal Shelter charges fees for the following services:
 Sheltering animals: $33 for the first day, $20 for each additional day (including partial days)
 Surrendering animals: $20: The Animal Shelter can only accept owner surrenders in special circumstances. Please call the shelter at 417-833-3592 to discuss your case.

I live outside of Springfield, but sometimes bring my pit bull into the city limits. Do I need to register my dog?

Pit bull owners are not required to register their dogs to bring them into the city for veterinary or grooming appointments, but they do have to follow other requirements such as muzzling their dogs and keeping control of them at all times. Pit bull owners bringing their dogs into the city for reasons not listed above may be required to register their dogs to avoid violating ordinance.

Do I need to register my pit bull if it is a service dog?

Yes. Service dogs, as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act, are subject to local dog licensing and registration requirements.

What happens if I violate the city’s pit bull regulations?
How many cats can I have?
What do I do about feral cats?
What are the rules for chicken ownership inside city limits?
What are the rules for rooster ownership inside city limits?
What are the rules for commercial breeding and fertilizer production?
Can my chickens roam free?
How do I keep my chickens from becoming a nuisance?
What are the chicken enclosure regulations?
Who is responsible for preventing chicken predators?
What if chickens are infested with parasites?
How should chicken manure be handled?
What health precautions should I take?