Temporary Food Events

Event coordinator information

Who needs a Temporary Food Establishment Permit?

Anyone selling, preparing, or serving food at a special event or celebration lasting no more than 14 days in row.

Who does not need a Temporary Food Establishment Permit?

  • Cottage law: anyone in the state Missouri preparing non-potentially hazardous foods in their home for sale to the end consumer.
  • Food permit exemptions: Selling, preparing, or serving processed non-potentially hazardous foods.
  • Non-Profit Organization: Selling, preparing, or serving food at fundraising events. 
  • Mobile food establishments with a current Springfield-Greene County health permit. 
  • Food establishments with a current Springfield-Greene County health permit. Temporary food requirements must be met.

Please note: if you are planning to sell or sample certain types of jams or jellies, animal jerkies, bottled sauces or canned goods please check the Cottage Law resource page.

We require businesses to have a food permit as explained in Chapter 58, Article II Food and Food Establishments, Sec. 58-53 of the Springfield City Code.

Food permits are NOT transferable from one owner to the next.

What is a temporary food event?

An event or celebration lasting no more than 14 days in row where food or drinks may be sold or served.

What is not considered a temporary food event?

A private event that is not open to the public:

A social gathering or event attended by invited guests who share a common cause, membership, business, or task and have a prior established relationship.


  • Private parties: weddings, birthday parties, etc. 
  • Homeowner’s Association events 
  • Barbecues or picnics
  • Company barbecues

All temporary food event applicants must follow these steps to become permitted:

  1. Application and Pre-Screen: 
    • Submit your application
    • An inspector will review the application, menu, and food processes to determine your priority and permit fee.
    • Applications must be submitted 10 days prior to the event.
  2. Pay Permit Fee:
    • Permit fees based on priority assessment.
      • High Priority Food Establishment Permit $96
      • Low Priority Food Establishment Permit no fee.
    • There are several ways to pay: online, in person or by mail 
  3. Pre-Opening Inspection:
    • All food preparation must take place at the event.
    • The inspector will conduct the pre-opening inspection.  
  4. Issue Permit:
    • High priority permits will be issued after pre-opening inspection.
    • Low priority permits are issued after application has been approved.
    • Vendors must comply with all local and county regulations that apply.

Additional information

  1. Coordinator Information
  2. Requirements
  • Please submit an event coordinator application. Under categories select "Temporary Coordinator"
    • Though it is not required, it will streamline the process by ensuring:
      • Communication between the coordinator, food vendor, and Springfield-Greene County Health
      • Food vendors meet permit requirements. 
      • Please share the application link with food vendors.
  • Please submit the coordinator application as far in advance as possible.
  • List all food vendors attending the event.

Note: All temporary food event vendor applications must be submitted on-line at least 10 days prior to the event, or they will not be accepted.